Solved

No RSSI measurements in the range between -50 and -80 dBm are available for AP1, AP3, AP5. Please try increasing the RSSI range for calibration in global settings for maps, or clear "Calibrate heat maps" to use predictive heat maps instead.

• 4 September 2018
  • 55 replies

No RSSI measurements in the range between -50 and -80 dBm are available for AP1, AP3, AP5. Please try increasing the RSSI range for calibration in global settings for maps, or clear "Calibrate heat maps" to use predictive heat maps instead.
icon

Best answer by samantha.lynn 1 October 2018, 15:09

If you open your Radio Profile, can you see what settings you have for the background scans? The APs would need to be able to complete background scans to report this information to the HiveManager, and if we have background scans set to not run when we have active clients on the network, then then could explain why we aren't see any results in your Maps when you check them.

View original

55 replies

Does anyone know how to fix this so I can use predictive heatmaps for this location?

Are you using cloud or on-prem, classic or NG?

On Prem. 8.2r1

Userlevel 1

If you open your Radio Profile, can you see what settings you have for the background scans? The APs would need to be able to complete background scans to report this information to the HiveManager, and if we have background scans set to not run when we have active clients on the network, then then could explain why we aren't see any results in your Maps when you check them.

I am having same issue. Radio Profile with " Enable background scanning" and " Enable background scanning when there are clients connected" are ticked.

Userlevel 1

I'd like to see how many background scans are actually getting through, could you send tech data from an AP so I can check this for you?

These guides review how to get tech data, either via the HiveManager GUI or the CLI of the AP:

HiveManager NG-https://thehivecommunity.aerohive.com/s/article/How-to-download-tech-data-in-HiveManager 

Device CLI-https://thehivecommunity.aerohive.com/s/article/Collecting-Tech-Data-via-CLI  

If you'd like to email the tech data directly to me, my email is communityhelp@aerohive.com.

I have got tech data. how to send it to you?

the file is attached.

Userlevel 1

Thank you for that tech data. I'm seeing this message a lot in the buffered log: Skip bg-scan since power-save client associated. Also, out of the 547 background scans requested since the last reboot of this device, only 25 have gone through. I'd recommend enabling background scans while clients are in power saving mode if possible.

I have enabled "background scans while clients are in power saving mode".

It still doesn't get the heat map. also when doing this, I get No RSSI measurements in the range between -40 and -90 dBm are available for TWL132-SW03.

Please try increasing the RSSI range for calibration in global settings for maps, or clear "Calibrate heat maps" to use predictive heat maps instead.

Why it happens to Aerohive network switches?

Userlevel 1

Switches won't provide heat maps as they don't broadcast a signal. Could you send me new tech data so I can make sure background scans are getting through more consistently now?

here it is.

Userlevel 1

Thank you for that tech data, we are getting significantly more background scans through now. If you have APs still not showing their heat map, I would recommend opening a case with your VAD to troubleshoot further. Remember that switches will not give a heat map reading at all, as they do not broadcast signal.

Thanks. Will do.

the command show acsp neighbour. can you please explain to me what the output meanings? thanks

Userlevel 1

Absolutely, this guide goes in to detail on how to read that output, it's the first command discussed in this guide: https://thehivecommunity.aerohive.com/s/article/Radio-Frequency-Interference-NG

thanks for the link very helpful. what does  "Interference utilization=25%" mean? is it very bad?

Userlevel 1

That's not great, it means that 25% of the APs utilization is taken up dealing with interference rather than passing traffic as normal. Likely you'd see at least minor slow downs in your wireless speed, and some more sensitive or isolated clients may have frequent disconnections, thinking the signal is gone when it is in fact just weak or delayed.

what are FFT real-time and FFT duty cycle? how to explain them when I use spectrum analysis in Hie manager? Thanks

Userlevel 1

The real-time FFT is a trace that indicates the power of a signal (vertical axis) along a domain of frequencies (horizontal axis). The term FFT refers to the mathematical algorithm used to break down received signals into their component frequencies. Within this display there are two traces: the red trace indicates the real time power levels, and the gray trace indicates the maximum power level reached during the current data collection session.

The FFT duty cycle is the amount of time as a percent of total time that the AP receives a signal above 20 dB above the noise floor. FFT duty cycle is often referred to as channel utilization because it indicates to what extent a channel is actually in use in terms of the relative amount of time the signal is present (vertical axis).

am I able to show the client information, like device mac address, channel and so on on an access point by using cli commands?

Userlevel 1

Yes, if you run "show station" you should see that client information.

Thanks for the command and it is very useful. If a device connects to 5GHZ wifi, its RSSI is -8dBm. Is it good? Can I increase the power to fix this issue?

Should be -80dBm in the previous comment instead of -8dBm