Data Center (VDX)

Mixing VDX long-distance isl and lossy isl to same RBRIDGE

wgs's profile image
wgs posted 09-19-2019 19:03
In general can long-distance lossless ISL links and lossy ISL links to link same
In my specific case: Would it be a good practice to add long-distance lossless 10G ISL links to a VCS logical chassis that has two 40G-LR isl links?
Michael Morey's profile image
Michael Morey
WGS,

For Best practices, I would recommend you review Extreme Validated Designs page. Also regarding ISLs I would recommend reviewing the guidelines and restrictions for long distance ISLs.

Thanks,

Michael Morey
Principal Technical Support Engineer – Switching, Routing & Analytics
wgs's profile image
wgs
Hi Michael,

I have review those documents, but confused slight by conflicting information in the release notes for NOS 7.3.

I am looking to create VCS logical chassis between data centers that are about 2.5km distant. I could use 10G-LR ISL with long distance. The release notes imply that lossy 40G ISL are a valid choice:

• The 40G and 100G interfaces do not support “long-distance isl” command, however can extend distances for non-lossless traffic up to 40Km using standard ISLs.

This is for client to server traffic and L3 routing.
wgs's profile image
wgs
I think perhaps I am overthinking this. We are not on WAN/METRO setup. This is all the same L2, just direct 2.5Km fiber between two rbridges.
Michael Morey's profile image
Michael Morey
WGS,

As the release notes state, the 40G and 100G interfaces do not support the Lossless "long-distance isl" command. The optics do however support distances up to 40Km and can be used as a standard "lossy" ISL.

Lossless support on 40G and 100G interfaces is limited to 1Km

Thanks,

Michael Morey
Principal Technical Support Engineer – Switching, Routing & Analytics