ExtremeWireless (WiNG)

View Only

Adobe Flash end of support 2020 - WING GUI 5.9.x/7.x

Raul Carbonari's profile image
Raul Carbonari posted 10-03-2019 21:24
There is a GUI migration plan based on FLASH for other technologies such as HTML5 before the end of support by Adobe and most browsers in Dec / 2020. Or we will suffer the same type of nightmare that exists with JAVA-based GUIs that were never updated again.
Christopher Frazee's profile image
Christopher Frazee
Hello Raul,
Yes, we are aware of this and our development teams are currently working on this. Support currently does not have any other details on this matter. If you need more information/details, please contact your Extreme Sales team.
Alona's profile image
Alona
Correct. Development team is working on this. We are scoping the effort and it will be done in 2020 well before year ends.
Robert Zarzycki's profile image
Robert Zarzycki
Aviv Kedem's profile image
Aviv Kedem

Hello guys,

Expected for HTML5 in WING7, but nope...

It doesn't look serious, since many vendors already moved their GUI’s to HTML5.

Deadline is coming, any update?

Thanks

Aviv

Bartek's profile image
Bartek

Hi,

ExtremeCloud Appliance (XCA) supports HTML5 and adopts WING APs 75XX, 76XX, 84XX, 85XX series as well as new Wi-Fi 6 but as I know it is not using MINT protocol for that so there are limited features supported

Brian Anderson's profile image
Brian Anderson

Small customers like having the Wing APs where they don’t have to buy a controller, so using the VC on the AP is the issue here.  The GUI on the VC on Wing APs still uses Flash.

Aviv Kedem

Exactly

But it’s not only about VC, but VX9000 and NX controllers.

It’s very critical and many companies watching at all technologies provided and conclude how much serious Extreme Networks. It is becoming increasingly difficult to convince that it’s not a big deal that we still stuck with FLASH.

Aviv

Richard Augusto's profile image
Richard Augusto

Folks,

We have in July. 

Extreme have any updates for HTML5 support on VX9000?

Martin8052's profile image
Martin8052

Hello,

I have read somewhere that with Wing 5.9.9 and Wing 7.5 there should be a HTML5 GUI.

Martin

tcheurby's profile image
tcheurby

Totally agree. 
I love WING products and I deploy them very frequently. Every time I show the GUI interface to the client's IT team it's a drama... Luckily the CLI and the configuration architecture are really really good. 
And let's not talk about the historic Identifi / ExtremeWireless products, a real disaster...

Ok, Extreme is leader on the Magic Quadrant 2019 & 2020 ??
Just open a GUI interface of VX9K or V2110 and compare that with other manufacturers. Maybe the idea is just to buy companies to get into the Magic Quadrant.

I feel like there's a difference in budget between the marketing team and the development team of the OS WING...

tcheurby,
Angry WING Lover

Martin8052

I can understand you very well, we are using Wing at our customers since the beginning with Version 3. And after seeing ECA/ECC or XIQ, I think both are more about monitoring and NAC, also the support of AP7xxx/Ap8xxx in ECC is very short lived, in the new Version 5 the support is totally dropped and in the last 4.x release the support is just grandfathered in, so nothing for new deployments.

And of course, neither ECC or XIQ has build in anything about the strong “MINT Magic” and what is possible with it after you have managed to understand it :-)

Martin

Tomasz's profile image
Tomasz

Hi Tcheurby, Martin,

Agreed, look & feel of WiNG GUI is a bit cringy at first sight, I even had a customer who told me “it’s nice but let’s come back to business when they migrate from Flash”.

One can get used to it after a while, in fact it’s not about how it looks. I think it could have become a bit too hectic when trying to manage and integrate all the stuff together, limited time & money and endless tasks and must-have features to not fall behind with buzzwords ‘n’ stuff (I could even find some plans regarding 8x8 11ax AP: https://www.qualcomm.com/media/documents/files/the-ultimate-wi-fi-access-point-which-wi-fi-6-features-define-the-new-premium-tier.pdf but better not treat this doc seriously). Non-technical customer representatives may often compare features from the datasheet and I suspect that’s one of the driving factors rather than look & feel. But with Flash it’s not only a look & feel issue (and these darn refresh = relogin thing), it’s also about security and it would be nice to see care is taken before an ultimate deadline given by browser developers.

Hoping they are on the right track with migrating from flash-based UI, in the meantime I’d focus on CLI-based demonstrations, this is what allows to see full efficiency, speed and beauty of flexible configuration model, site-wide packet captures and so on.

Cheers,

Tomasz

Sam Pirok's profile image
Sam Pirok

Hi guys, I can confirm we are still working on switching away from Flash and intend to do so before the cut off date. We don’t have a firm ETA that I can share as of yet, but when we do have some delivery dates set I will do my best to share with you all. Please feel free to check in on this thread, or with me directly at community@extremenetworks.com, for updates. 

tcheurby's profile image
tcheurby

Hi guys, 

Thank you for your answers, I completely agree with you Tomasz. Luckily CLI is great and very powerful so if the client is not allergic it is a joy to work in CLI.  Most of the time, I don't even present the GUI of the VX and I try to sell a Nsight for infrastructure monitoring.

What scares me the most is that all my customers who will have their browser up to date will not be able to access their GUI in January 2021. 

So I have to prepare my migrations for the customers

We are 5 months away from the deadline and nothing is done yet... How to prepare all this? 
As a WING solution integrator we have more than a hundred different customers (small site in VC mode or multi-site) equipped with WING. How to do in such a short time? If in addition the APs need to be changed for the evolution it will be very very short.

The most frustrating thing is that the announcement of the end of flash support by Chrome was published on July 25, 2017: https://www.blog.google/products/chrome/saying-goodbye-flash-chrome/
Three years later... no news

Thanks to all of you for giving us some news via this topic.

Cheers,
Tcheurby

Tomasz's profile image
Tomasz

Hi Tcheurby,

I believe if you asked local SEs it might be possible to get some roadmap details.

GUI change is going to be rather a single shot instead of a process and I don’t even consider such a big company to not take care of such a fundamental issue. Still 5 months to go, let’s give them some more time. ;) Extreme has put itself under a huge stress with all recent acquisitions and a challenge to squeeze the best juice out of every single acquired thing and drive the evolution of market/tech strategy. I’d love to have HTML5 sooner but seems they focused on other tasks first. And OTOH, it could be looking as it looks now even with HTML5. ;) BTW I’ve seen couple of VMware servers that had an upgrade to migrate from Flash very recently (I mean the production servers, not update release date).

Cheers,

Tomasz

Martin8052

Have you seen, WING Manager (WING Man) has been released….an encapsulated Chrome browser with enabled Flash Plugin to manage WING Devices untill there is an HTML5 GUI for them.

I have a feeling that we will not see the HTML5 GUI before Flash is retired…..

DaveA's profile image
DaveA

Hi all,

With just over a month until Flash is EOL, do we have any feedback on the HTML5 version or other ie WING Man

This is pretty important especially with, I believe, WIndows10 about to actively uninstall Flash…

ps I just installed WINGMan 1.0.1 and upon connecting all I get is a blank window?? After relaunching I see that address still in previous connections but still unable to connect..

Aviv Kedem

Hello guys,

Any updates about HTML5 GUI ?

Thanks

Aviv

Aviv Kedem

Hello,

December 2020 is here without any updates about any ETA for GUI update. 

The Wing Manager (that not working) is seems as amateur repair for BIG issue for enterprise networks in 2021. Very disappointing.

Any updates?

Aviv

Sam Pirok

Hi Aviv, the latest target date for the GUI update release is in January 2021. As far as I understand, there are still some major bugs they are working out, which has delayed the release. If you’re having issues with the Wing Manager, I might suggest opening a GTAC case so we can assist you with those issues. 

Vadim Chistov's profile image
Vadim Chistov

Hi!

That’s funny.

WingMan shows Flash EOL message.

Any updates?

Tytus's profile image
Tytus

Yeah. That’s ridicules.

Angel_Salas's profile image
Angel_Salas

Same problem here. It's amazing that Extreme developed this application to dispense with flash... and that program uses flash. We have several very angry customers... Our phones are smoking.

Brama's profile image
Brama

Same issue, following this thread for updates.

Angel_Salas

Tested temporary solution. Change the date of the access equipment. I have deactivated the automatic synchronisation and set the date of the computer to the year 2020, and it works.

Konrad PL's profile image
Konrad PL

How about domain PCs or VPN connection without time sync? I think the only solution in production environment is to deploy VM out of domain with date changed to 2020. I hope that development team will provide us HTML5 during this year…   

Brama's profile image
Brama

Well, according to Extreme:

WiNG-Man (WiNG-Manager) is a self-contained app that will allow the use of the WiNG flash GUI beyond the end of flash support. This tool is intended to be used by those with legacy deployments or advanced GUI users. It is only supported for the use of the WiNG graphical user interface.

So I believe they need to come up with a solution, set the time back is not a solution.

Konrad PL

Of course it is only workaround temporary solution until Extreme development will resolve the problem with “Adobe’s end-of-life logic bomb”. 

Martin8052

Probably it was not know at the time of creating WingMan that the Flashplugin already included the timebomb of self deactivation.

Tolken's profile image
Tolken

If you have problems with end of life in WingMan you need to change pepflashplayer.dll to the older version. You need to go to C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\extreme-wing-manager\app-1.0.1\resources\app\src\flash\win32 and replace pepflashplayer.dll to version 26.0.0.131 x64 downloaded from eg. dll-files.com

Richard Augusto

Thks man!

It’s works!

Aviv Kedem

Really not serious that we need to change the clock to make it work.

PC’s are connected to DC so very bad “solution”.

Aviv Kedem

OMG!

This is Deja vu of Java with WING4 :grimacing: .

I do not want it again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aviv Kedem

Any ETA about HTML GUI ?

Aviv Kedem

not working for me

Richard Augusto

Tomasz Lubas's profile image
Tomasz Lubas

Its really shame of Extreme let that happend. 

It is classic facepalm situaltion. Today I started wing implemetation for large customer [over 170 AP] and have this unpleasant role to tell them they have to switch date back when wing manager failed to work.

regards,

Tomek

dgoulao's profile image
dgoulao

Hello.

Tested with old browsers and no luck.

We got the same conclusion that change the Date to 31/12/2020 works, but this will break and impact  other things on the  PC like autentication,etc....

This is not a quick fix but a last resort fix. :(

CLI works without any problems.

Thanks.

Tomasz Lubas

Yaep, cli works, i’m developing some ASCI code to show customer floor plans and topologies…

dgoulao's profile image
dgoulao

Yes CLI works , but not an alternative for all GUI Settings.

Thanks for pointing that out.

Konrad PL

Workaround with changing pepflashplayer.dll library in C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\extreme-wing-manager\app-1.0.1\resources\app\src\flash\win32 to version 26.0.0.131 x64 works for me. 

Martin8052

pepflashplayer.dll in version 29.0.0.171 is working too

Veli Wegner's profile image
Veli Wegner

It's a little embarrassing when the software that was supposed to fix the problem, shows the problem itself. Our customers are totally "thrilled".

Alan H's profile image
Alan H

It works for me too, but i don’t know if you missed to mention (or is just my case) that this dll file is generated each time you open the WiNG Man, so you need to replace the file each time and after you run WiNG Man. That was the only way it worked for me. Also can confirm that it works with 29.0.0.171

Thank you.

murugan.kannaian's profile image
murugan.kannaian

Is there any update on when will get HTML5 GUI? Flash player EOD ends today

Sam Pirok

Just wanted to let you guys know this is on my radar, working on getting update/plan for you guys. I’ll update this thread as soon as I know more. 

Tomasz's profile image
Tomasz

Hi,

I’d say Konrad’s approach to have a VM might be the cleanest, yet the most effortful workaround. A securely accessed VM only able to communicate with WiNG controller IP.

Cheers,

Tomasz

Sam Pirok

We are working on a new version of WingMan as we speak, this is obviously a high priority. The current target release is for tonight, barring any further setbacks. You can also consult this guide for updates as well: https://extremeportal.force.com/ExtrArticleDetail?an=000092008

Thanks for hanging in there with me everyone, I’ll keep you posted as I hear more. 

Sam Pirok

Looks like the release is now scheduled for tomorrow noon. I’ll keep you all updated if I hear more. 

James A's profile image
James A

You can configure Flash to work for certain sites by using mms.cfg. See for example the VMware documentation on how to set it up

EOLUninstallDisable=1
EnableAllowList=1
AllowListPreview=1
AllowListUrlPattern=https://FQDN_Of_The_Target_System/

Aviv Kedem

About 1800 WiNG APs and growing

Tolken's profile image
Tolken

I open WingMan today and it still works. You have to close application and then replace pepflashplayer.

Danny Schaper's profile image
Danny Schaper

Do your developer still work on a HTML5 GUI and if so is there a timeline? Or is WingMan the final solution for this issue?

dgoulao's profile image
dgoulao

James, this is very interesting. 

A quick test on this worked for me to access an old vcenter flash based.

I will test test in wing environment.

Sam Pirok

Hi everyone, I have some more information this morning. This is the official statement regarding WiNG-Manager: 

Now that Adobe’s version of Flash is no longer supported, customers can download WiNG-Man V1.0.4 starting at 12:00 noon EST on January 13, 2021 to continue managing your WiNG environment. For those that have previously downloaded WiNG-MAN, you can directly access the new version on our support site. For those who have not already downloaded WiNG-MAN, please contact our GTAC for access.

We thank you for your patience and apologize for any issues this may have caused.

Please Note:

&   - As far as I know the HTML GUI is still in progress, however your sales engineer (SE) will have better information on the roadmap and possible ETAs. If you’re not sure who to reach out to for your SE, please let me know and I’ll email that information directly to you. 

dgoulao's profile image
dgoulao

OK, this did the trick for me.

Tested with version 5.9.4.1. Internet Explorer only.

PMG's profile image
PMG

Where is the new download? It’s not available

jdyer96's profile image
jdyer96

Any update on this - all I get is a 404 error.  Right now I have 2 controllers and 30 APs that I can’t access at all.

DaveA's profile image
DaveA

I was just able to download it from https://extremeportal.force.com

Do a search for wingman there. I also had to select Show All to see the download and release notes.

crazyhammer's profile image
crazyhammer

I have a fix for this. Create a text file called mms.cfg

Put the below in the text file. The whitelisturlpattern can be either an IP or hostname. My example below starts with 10. fill in your IP. Just copy paste the below 5 lines and update IP to your controller.

SilentAutoUpdateEnable=0
AutoUpdateDisable=1
EOLUnistallDisable=1
EnableAllowList = 1
WhiteListURLPattern=https://10.XX.XX.XX

Once above is in the text file, copy the mms.cfg file, to c:\windows\system32\macromed\flash and c:\windows\syswow64\macromed\flash

Close ALL MS IE windows and reopen, then access the controller URL should open up without issue now.

Did this today for my VX9000 controller, didn’t work got the weird F in the middle of the screen error. Once I did the above, closed and restarted MS IE controller came up and logged in without issue.

This does NOT work for Chrome, didn’t try firefox.

Good luck.

Aviv Kedem

The new WiNG-Man V1.0.4 is not working for me with WING5/7, the same.

WiNG-Man is stuck with blank window after entering the AP ip and click on CONNECT button.

:open_mouth:

Aviv

Vadim Chistov's profile image
Vadim Chistov

Did you enter full address with https://

Got the same issue with old Wingman unitl entered https://ip_address

Unforunately I’ m unable to get new wingman to test.

Aviv Kedem

OK, the applicating is not adding the https:// as its appearing in the window, so need to add it manually.

So it’s working.

Aviv

Angel_Salas

WiNG-Man V1.0.4  works for me too.

Regards.

tst_it's profile image
tst_it

Our Team is working on a WindowsServer2012R2 VM. We’re also stuck on the blank window.

For us WiNG-Man V1.0.4 is only working on a Windows10 PC, while proxy being disabled.

Richard Augusto

Wing Man 1.0.4 not released for MAC? 

Tomasz's profile image
Tomasz

Hi,

I heard some people saying Chrome v. 49 still works well with WiNG GUI. Didn’t try myself though.

Cheers,

Tomasz

Richard Augusto

Windows Server 2012 not work here too… Only Windows 10… 

Mac version ? only a dream?

Tomasz Lubas

I don’t know exact english frase to express my feelings about that. In Polish it would be ‘witki mi opadają’ maybe ‘down in the mouth’ or ‘throw up one's hands’.

Yesterday was my second wing implementation from hour 0 when flash was dead. Workarounds with mms.cfg - doesn’t work for me but hej.. there is new wing man somwhere there !  Let's download it. Oo should i make case for that ? As black belt hero, working for black diamond partner, downloaded it previousely couple times without problems - why not. Make life easier and “Please Create a Case so GTAC can investigate download entitlement.” Please save me from downloading it. Maybe it’s to soon to implement Mesh point onsite today? Let’s wait for investigation, lets reconsider wing one more time.

Thanks Tomasz M. from Versim, for fast reaction and helping me with solution. I could finish my job onsite and our first mesh point implementation was so far successful. 

Dariusz's profile image
Dariusz

Witam. Gdzie mogę pobrać wing-man?

Tomasz Lubas
Dwayne Miller's profile image
Dwayne Miller

Testing the new Extreme WiNG Manager 1.0.4. Has anyone found a way to pre-populate the connection URL? I need to publish this is Citrix for Guest User account creation and it would be good to be able to pre-populate the connection parameter for all users.

HLaidla's profile image
HLaidla

Works for me also.

Joel C's profile image
Joel C

So we’ve… uhh… let our support lapse. We’re still licensed, just not supported. We’re going a different direction moving forward (so we have lots of spares) and weren’t really using it. Things still work. I just can’t get new firmwares, call TAC, or (gulp) download the new WiNG-Man. 

I do have a work-around I wanted to share in case there’s anyone else in a similar place.I’ll add that the post by crazyhammer to modify the mms.cfg file did work for me, but only for (ugh) Internet Explorer.

I did one better, and got it (sort of) working with Chrome.

The are two tricks to make this work. First, you need to download and install a portable version of Chrome from before they put in the kill switch. I’m using a 32-bit version of Chrome 79 (for reasons below -- newer 64-bit versions will likely also work). Second, you need to find an un-killed version of Flash somewhere as a donor. I don’t have rights to post what I used, but if you’ve got an old desktop gathering dust somewhere, you probably have the Flash files just waiting.

One final consideration here: Chrome claims to include Flash out of the box, but it really only gets it on first use. So if your old system was a fresh image, it likely never prepped the Flash plugin. In my case, the Flash donor came from an old 32-bit Windows 7 machine we’d pulled out of production a year-ago May and hadn’t ever fully decommissioned (this is why I’m using a 32bit version of Portable Chrome: to match the donor Flash plugin). To be safe, I pulled the drive and put in a cradle to access from another machine, so Chrome wouldn’t update it out of existence as soon as I booted.

The Flash plug is located here:

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\PepperFlash

Grab the entire contents of the folder and put them in your Portable Chrome’s Data\Profile\PepperFlash folder.

And there you go. A Chrome installation that can still use Flash. It’s still blocked by default, and will still prompt you to enable it again every time you come back to the page, so be ready for that. Also, this version of Chrome won't update over time, so don't use it for anything you don’t need to.

I’m also using this from an older security camera installation that used Flash to play recorded videos and absolutely would not use the IE work-around.

Gerhard Fetka's profile image
Gerhard Fetka

Hello All,

since the 12th of January, my RFS4010 controller is uncontrollable, because Flash has been blocked by Adobe.
Being a consequence of this my Mesh WLAN Network with over 30 Motorola/Zebra APs at my school cannot be administered any more!

Has there been some effort in moving the GUI to HTML5?

Please help!

Best regards from Graz, Austria

Gerhard

peawet08's profile image
peawet08

Gerhard,

In the meantime you can download the Wing-Man software from the Extreme download section.  It should work, does for me!

Extreme need to pull their finger out, it’s not like they didn’t have any warning about this.  The demise of flash has been coming for years!!

adolader's profile image
adolader

Hi! I am just trying to download Wing Manager right now and all I get is a Page not found when I click on it on the dowload page ¿? is there any problem?

Sam Pirok

Hi  , you will want to download Wing-Man to continue managing your devices for the moment. If you have previously downloaded WiNG-MAN, you can directly access the new version at extremeportal.force.com in the downloads section. If you have not already downloaded WiNG-MAN, please contact our GTAC for access.

Please Note:

, I believe you would need to contact the GTAC team to get the Wing Manager file. 

Robert Zarzycki's profile image
Robert Zarzycki
AndyRoh's profile image
AndyRoh

Hi. I have the Wing Manager to manage the Wing devices, it works. But i need to print Vouchers for the Captive Portal Guest Login. This don’t work. Is there a solution for this problem?

Sethg103's profile image
Sethg103

Wing Manager is greyed out for me on the downloads page

Gerhard Fetka

Thanks a lot for your rapid answer!
I’ll try this soon!

Best regards,
Gerhard

Tuan Nguyen's profile image
Tuan Nguyen

I use Wing manager but login interface is full of squares

Sam Pirok

, that is a known issue with WingMan right now, once we get that resolved you shouldn’t need anything separate for the CWP or the vouchers. 

, could you tell me what OS WingMan is on? It’s currently only supported for Windows, just as a heads up. If you are using Windows, are you able to login at all, and if so does the rest of the text look like that as well? 

Gerhard Fetka

Hi Robert,

I’m sorry, ther’s just a description and a button where I can open a case on the missing download link - see screenshot below.

So I did what they wanted me to do - I created a case:

GTAC wanted “maintenance and/or warranty contract docs”, which I really haven’t got after those years, additionally to my serial number.

So, finally, is this a license issue?
We really paid a lot for all our 30 APs including a RFS-4010 controller, which is inaccessible at the moment …

There is also no link behind the “Downloads Home” section on this page.

Or is it a prank?

I feel some despair coming up.

Best regards,
Gerhard

Sam Pirok

, I’m very sorry for the frustration so far. We have to control the distribution of Wing-man a little differently than we do other downloads because we aren’t licensed to have Wing-Man run in all countries at the moment so we need to control who gets the file to be sure we are only distributing it in locations we are licensed for. Could you share your case number with me so I can take a look and see what we can do for you there?

Gerhard Fetka

Hi Sam,

thanks a lot for your quick answer!

My case number is: GTAC Case # (02323275)

Best regards
Gerhard

Sam Pirok

Thank you for that case number  , I’m told they’ve whitelisted you for the download now, could you let me know if you still see a blank downloads page for the Wing-Man file?

Gerhard Fetka

Hi Sam,
thanks a lot!
I am really happy with downloading WING-Man now!

Great support!

Best regards from Austria,

Gerhard

Gerhard Fetka

Hi Sam,

WING-Manager works great - see screenshot below.
My Motorola/Zebra/Extreme WLAN is back again - many thanks to you and to all of your support team!

Best regards & a happy weekend

Gerhard

Aviv Kedem

Hello Extreme Team,

The January is ends.

Any ETA for new GUI?

And yes, was in touch with our SE, and there is no needed info at all.

So I asking you, Any ETA for new GUI?

Regards,

Aviv

Sam Pirok

I’m sorry Aviv, if your SE doesn’t have an ETA it is because there isn’t one yet. I also do not have an ETA for a new GUI but I will keep you all updated as I learn more. 

rhino_jarp's profile image
rhino_jarp

Hi Sam,

I have a fleet of AP7562’s. Can we get access to WingMan as well? I tried to raise a GTAC case with the serial number but it’s not letting me.

Sam Pirok

Thanks for letting me know  , I’ve messaged you directly with a couple questions. I’m sure we can get you the wing man download as well. 

gilly's profile image
gilly

Greetings Extream Team, 

Can you provide more details on WingMan? Any vulnerability's ? 

When can we expect a non-flash GUI to be published?

Anymore documentation we can utilize?  

Regards, 

Bob  

Aviv Kedem

Hello,

Very strange situation.

Extreme team working on non-flash GUI, but no one haves the ETA.

Maybe they are working on Java GUI aka downgrade our GUI, why not?  It can be very funny :laughing:

Regards,

Aviv

Sam Pirok

Hey everyone, the latest ETA I heard for the HTML5 GUI was sometime in the March/April time frame. I’ll keep you all posted if I hear anything new. 

Martin8052

Hello,

any news about an updated MacOS Version of WingManager ?

regards

Martin

alkanermis's profile image
alkanermis

There will be MAcOS or Server version of Wing Manager ?...

Sam Pirok

Hi all, I’m sorry for the delay here. I am looking in to an ETA for a MAC version of Wing-manager, but I’m still waiting to hear back. I’ll update this thread as soon as I have more information for you. 

MarvinFloyd's profile image
MarvinFloyd

I have the same issue, using windows 10 and be able to login normally but some menus are corrupted and even it’s not showing all my 15 APs!

Here’s some screenshot:

https://monosnap.com/file/gBKJmCi3jg6WNw8w5ZFggyA6iJFyB6

https://monosnap.com/file/DX6nrlzvNwPJkr83tUjyTvaZBUeDWE

https://monosnap.com/file/YkQ0Bk1GlFVkwUxUI7gri2mtqBd3lH

Appreciate your help.

Thanks,

Sam Pirok

Hello , thanks for letting me know. I found an article detailing a few requirements for running Wing-Manager that I’ve linked below. I see you are running Windows 10, could you confirm if you meet the other requirements listed below? 

• Microsoft® Windows™ 10
  • Windows 10 64bit
  • HDD 100 MB
  • RAM 4 GB

Article: https://extremeportal.force.com/ExtrArticleDetail?an=000092599&q

MarvinFloyd

Yes dear my laptop is 12GB RAM + 320GB - windows 10 64bit.

Actually the wing manger is signing in normally but as you can see its not readable at all... 

Sam Pirok

Thank you for confirming that for me. I’m not finding any articles or technical cases that match your menu text issue.  At this point I think the best next step would be to open a technical support case. If you can let me know your case number, I can add my notes to it so the technician working the case will know what we’ve already discussed. I’m sorry I couldn’t be more helpful here. 

MarvinFloyd

Thanks a lot for your caring, it’s really appreciated…

I’ve already sent PM regarding the case info :)

ToanLK's profile image
ToanLK

In the Danang wifi project, we have 3 RFS-7000, 2 running for Cluster and 1 backup, and about 369 Acces Ponit devices (AP7161, 7131, 6522,), but in early 2021, Adobe Flash Player support has stopped, so device management and configuration on the WING GUI is difficult, please ask the company to support us to download the WING Manager software to facilitate the configuration and management of large quantities. the device is as above

Sam Pirok

Hi , thank you for providing those details. If you have previously downloaded WiNG-MAN, you can directly access the new version at extremeportal.force.com in the downloads section. If you have not already downloaded WiNG-MAN, please contact our GTAC for access: https://www.extremenetworks.com/support/contact/?_ga=2.214515287.119135569.1610393507-140520199.1610120115

ToanLK's profile image
ToanLK

Thanks a lot for your caring,

I’ve already sent PM regarding the case info :)

And I got help from you guys,

We sincerely thank you.

Aviv Kedem

Hello Sam,

Any updates ?

Regards,

Aviv

Sam Pirok

Hi everyone, just wanted to say sorry for the delay here, I’m still looking for an updated ETA for you guys but I haven’t heard anything yet. I’ll update here as soon as I know more. 

Sam Pirok

Thanks for your patience, the latest release target for the HTML 5 GUI is in the May/June time frame. This is of course subject to change depending on what else comes up during QA testing. 

Danny Schaper

Thanks for the update, Sam. Where’s Wingman gone? I’m no longer able to download. https://extremeportal.force.com/ExtrDownloadDetail?id=a412T000000omv8QAA does not download any file at all and the old link https://extremeportal.force.com/ExtrDownloadDetail?id=a412T000000ceo7QAA does not longer exist (404).

Sam Pirok

Hey Danny, we had to take Wingman down temporarily due to a whitelisting issue. We are working on a fix, that’s why you see that test file where the old file used to be.

In the mean time, you’ll want to contact your local services engineer (SE) to request the latest version of Wingman (1.0.5). If you’re unsure who to reach out to for your SE, please let me know generally where you’re located and I will find you a local SE to speak with.

As soon as I hear that we’ve fixed the download page issue and the file is back up on the portal, I’ll update this thread to let you all know. 

Danny Schaper

Thanks again, Sam :slight_smile:

woprandi's profile image
woprandi

The link to the wingman 1.0.5 is broken…

Since January, we’re unable to monitor our extreme devices which is very problematic. Do you have any temporary solution ?

Tomasz's profile image
Tomasz

Hi,

Wingman link is being fixed, you can get that through the local SE.

A brutal workaround: download Palemoon browser + https://archive.org/details/flashplayer_old

Hope that helps,

Tomasz

Curtis Brabham's profile image
Curtis Brabham

A couple of things on the latest release of WingMan:

• Why was WingMan changed from 64-bit to 32-bit?  I know it doesn’t need a ton of RAM, but this still seems like a step backwards.  I doubt there is anyone who doesn’t have access to a Windows 10 64-bit machine.
  • Windows SmartScreen kicked in when I ran the MSI for 1.0.6.
  • Can the next release please open a larger window?  No one has 640x480 monitors anymore.
woprandi's profile image
woprandi

The Wingman link is still broken for me...

Tomasz's profile image
Tomasz

Hi,

Did you reach out to local SE or GTAC to get the file?

If not, an alternative is Palemoon + https://archive.org/details/flashplayer_old with updates disabled. Or switch to CLI if it’s an option, certain tasks are much faster with it.

Hope that helps,

Tomasz

Duja's profile image
Duja

Hi,

I can’t download WiNG-Man V1.0.4 and I I lost control my all device, but I nedd change some settings on devices. We useing two kinde of Accespoint (AP-7632,AP-8432), where I can download this Wing-Man V 1.0.4

Thank you,

Gyula

Sam Pirok

Hi , until we can get the link fixed, you’ll want to reach out to your local services engineer (SE) for the file. If you’re unsure who to reach out to for your SE, please let me know generally where you’re located and I will find you a local contact to work with. 

Christopher Frazee's profile image
Christopher Frazee

I just verified the link for WiNG-Man v1.0.6 (latest) and no issue:

https://extremeportal.force.com/ExtrProductDetail?id=01t2T000002kZbAQAU

You must have a valid portal account. 

Aviv Kedem

Hello community,

There is any update about the new GUI ?

Regards,

Aviv

Sam Pirok

Hey all, just wanted to let you know I have a call tomorrow to discuss this, I’ll update this post right after that call. Sorry for the delay here, the last time frame I heard was end of June but I want to be sure I have the latest information. 

GentlemanAmongScholars's profile image
GentlemanAmongScholars

Please define a valid portal account. I am logged in, and the link you have placed here there’s no download option.

When I go to downloads and search for it

This is what I get when I download it

So if I understand this correctly...extreme networks was completely blindsided by the retirement of Flash, and that’s why it’s now half a year later, and they’re still delaying release date? On top of that, 2 months ago an extreme networks employees said they pulled it, and it appears it’s still pulled.

Am I the only one who thinks this is the result severely piss-poor design, shitty management, and even worse follow through? I have a crap ton of devices to manage, coming into the summer season in hospitality POST COVID and I can’t do crap to manage the network where the IP TVs and VOiP phones are connected to. Sure...there’s command line options...but damn it for the price of these products, I shouldn’t have to have ‘tweaks’ and ‘work-arounds’. That’s a learning curve I simply don’t have the time to invest to learn.

A few days after the retirement of Flash and you don’t have your shit together, sure, why not. But especially with COVID and engineers able to work from home, 6 months out, why in the hell is this still an issue?

This is absolutely ridiculous.

Sam Pirok

Hey all, just wanted to update you (sorry for the delay, the call was pushed back a bit) but it looks like the HTML 5 GUI is going to be included in WiNG 7.6.3 which is tentatively scheduled to come out at the end of this month. I’ll keep you all updated as I hear more. 

Sam Pirok

Hi , thank you for those screen shots, but you needed to be added to a whitelist in order to download the WiNG Manager file. This is because we are not licensed to run it in all countries so we have to restrict it a bit more than we normally would. That said, you should have access to the download now, please let me know if you have any further trouble accessing that file. 

GentlemanAmongScholars

Sorry...that was a vent sesh...I saw the download option, and was able to get it installed and connected to the appliance. Thank you for the follow up.

Danny Schaper

Hey , will there be a WiNG 5 version too? Do you have any release information about that?

woprandi's profile image
woprandi

Same issue for me

Sam Pirok

Hi , we won’t have a WiNG-Manager version for WiNG 5 devices, only WiNG 7 devices. Is that what you are asking? 

, thanks for letting me know. We were able to add you to the whitelist for that download, could you please check again and let me know if you are still unable to see it? 

Danny Schaper

No, I just wanted to know if there will be a HTML 5 version for WiNG 5 as well. And if so do you have any release date?

Sam Pirok

Thanks for clarifying , there will not be an HTML 5 version for WiMG5, only WiNG 7. 

DaveA's profile image
DaveA

Hi Sam,

So out of interest, I have a VX9000 and a pile of ap7562s all running 5.9.8.3, is there a reason why I should run WiNG7.x or not and what benefits?? If not then the no HTML5 update for WiNG5 is a problem going forward..

thanx,

Dave.

Danny Schaper

Same here. As article tells us WiNG v7 is for 802.11ax devices only. We realized some issues using v7 on AP76xx and had to downgrade to WiNG v5. So hopefully the new HTML5-v7 will run better on this WAPs (but I don’t think so)…

Sam Pirok

For devices that are unable to use WiNG 7 (non 802.11ax devices), you’d want to continue using the Web-Manager to manage those devices. Sorry I don’t have better news for you all on that front. 

woprandi's profile image
woprandi

I was able to download the file. Thank you

Aviv Kedem

Hello community,

I have a premonition that the new GUI will be released at the end of Jun 2022, not at 2021 :rolling_eyes:

tcheurby's profile image
tcheurby

Totally agree with Aviv.

The question I have is: will we get a GUI before Extreme stops the WING solution completely. 
It seems that Extreme doesn't like non-subscription solutions anymore. 

The recent release notes announce the removal of some functionality with the universal AP: Virtual controller, GUI... We still don't have a replacement for Nsight officially supported for WING 7 ??? Why ??

Why did we abandon this great solution to invest only on the Cloud? Extreme's wallet is better? Soon we won't be able to offer our customers a choice, it will be cloud or nothing... 

If Extreme doesn't want WING anymore, why not try to resell the solution to someone else ? back to Zebra or Motorola ? Everything was simpler before and more stable from my point of view. We often had less surprise before with the eventual bug in the new WING versions… 

And to think that I have customers who pay huge sums of money in TAC & OS maintenance why? To finance the development of cloud IQ ? or to improve the features and stability of WING ?

I feel that Extreme will become a bit like Meraki (full cloud $$$$ ).... I'm currently thinking about other manufacturers and leaving Extreme to build local solutions to replace WING: Aruba IAP, Ruckus unleashed,… ??

RIP WING ??

Angry wing lover...

GentlemanAmongScholars

Kicking the can on down the road I see. Problem I have with the ‘work around’ is that it doesn’t seem to write the running config to the devices. So I still can’t use it. 300 some-odd devices...can’t do crap with ‘em. Soooooooooo running for the hills and switching the first chance I get. This product is junk.

Tomasz's profile image
Tomasz

Hi Gentleman,

Besides all the weight put here Extreme has to bench press themselves, which workaround do you refer to? Is it WiNG-Man? Or some niche browsers like Palemoon with old Flash version? The latter works well for me.

There’s still CLI and I believe it would’ve been better for WiNG if it never went into GUI (which wasn’t there initially ). But I know it’s not cheering anyone up, I’m from a generation that got used to GUIs myself. If you’ll need any assistance in accomplishing a task through the CLI, let us know. That’s what we can try here to minimize the disruption you experience.

WiNG is a great platform in terms of its maturity, stability and config granularity/scalability, it would be a pity if it was gone. I don’t like subscriptions as the only available option myself. I know it might be cheaper especially for small customers when prices of everything are skyrocketing these years (and will continue so), but I’d prefer some alternative choice besides attempting to be happy without owning anything. ;)

Hope that helps,
Tomasz