General Discussion

View Only

Remove Unused Slots from Switch/EMC

dleboeuf's profile image
dleboeuf posted 11-10-2021 15:08
Hello all,

I removed 4 switches from a stack of 8 for a customer. Whenever we go in to Extreme Management Center, it is still showing all 8 slots (see first attached image) and I can't seem to get them to go away. When I log in to the CLI of the switch, I see 4 slots in 'Operational' and 4 slots in 'Empty' (see second attached image).

How do I go about completely removing those unused slots from the switch itself and in EMC.

Thanks!
Zdeněk Pala's profile image
Zdeněk Pala
Try Refresh (Rediscover):
dleboeuf's profile image
dleboeuf
Hi Zdeněk,

I just tried that and it is still showing the extra slots. When I go to Device and Module Information, it shows the 4 slots that are used as well as the 4 slots that are unused, but they say "notPresent" on them. 

Zdeněk Pala
Are those slots still in the switch configuration?
can you reconfigure those slots from the switch?
Zdeněk Pala
you can use EXOSCLI command:
unconfigure slot
dleboeuf's profile image
dleboeuf
Yes, I ran that command a few times and they still show up as "Empty" when running the 'show slot' command. The attached screenshot above from the CLI was after I unconfigured the 4 slots. Does the switch need to be rebooted possibly? It isn't that big of a deal, but our customer wanted to get it cleaned up.

Thanks!
Zdeněk Pala
I tried to replicate this and I am not able.
Once I do "unconfigure slot" on my EXOS the followed rediscover does update the DeviceView Ports tab.

I can not tell if the issue is in XMC or in EXOS.

If the reboot of the XMC solves the issue then I guess the bug is in XMC.
If the reboot of the switch solves the issue then I guess the bug is in EXOS.

I suggest contacting GTAC if those products are under contract.