ExtremeSwitching (EXOS)

Expand all | Collapse all

brief/abbreviated "show configuration" command

• 1.  brief/abbreviated "show configuration" command

Posted 11-30-2017 00:46
    Hey,

Often times I just want a quick print out of the live config on a switch and see if there are any oddities.The problem is many of the per-port commands (QPs, DiffServ Exam/Replace, LLDP/CDP/EDP) add a config line entry for each port. If I have a stack of 48 port switches even the most basic config can span hundreds and hundreds of lines. Is there a way to show a condensed show configuration" command?

For example, issuing a single command to enable full LLDP TLVs adds ~250 lines to the configuration per switch.

• 2.  RE: brief/abbreviated "show configuration" command

Posted 11-30-2017 06:04
    Hello Kyler,

You may do filtering config per module and also do grep for including/excluding config lines, like in example below:

SW2.1 # sh configuration

• 3.  RE: brief/abbreviated "show configuration" command

Posted 11-30-2017 10:56
    Thanks Nikolay.

I should have stated that I already use include and categories when I can , I'm just wondering if there's a way to condense the config into something similar to the commands someone would actually enter.

For example, I'm on a stack of two X460-48t switches and someone entered:
    create qosprofile QP2
    create qosprofile QP5
    create qosprofile QP6[/code]Those three commands resulted in 350 lines being added to the running configuration with each line being for a specific QP for a specific port:
    configure qosprofile QP2 minbw 0 maxbw 100 ports 1:1
    configure qosprofile QP2 minbw 0 maxbw 100 ports 1:2
    configure qosprofile QP2 minbw 0 maxbw 100 ports 1:3
    configure qosprofile QP2 minbw 0 maxbw 100 ports 1:4
    configure qosprofile QP2 minbw 0 maxbw 100 ports 1:5
    ...[/code]Whereas most vendors would condense this down into:
    configure qosprofile QP2 minbw 0 maxbw 100 ports 1:1-1:58
    configure qosprofile QP2 minbw 0 maxbw 100 ports 2:1-2:58[/code]For most vendors showing the running config is considered to be the go-to command when trying to figure out how a switch has been configured. Configuration categories and the include command are useful if I already know what I'm looking for but I'm finding that's the case less and less often the more I work :)

• 4.  RE: brief/abbreviated "show configuration" command

Posted 11-30-2017 13:42
    The closest thing to this that I'm aware of is the "show config clean" script that we've got on our GitHub:
    https://github.com/extremenetworks/ExtremeScripting/tree/master/EXOS/Python/show_config_clean

By adding some additional logic to this script, it could be updated to further condense configuration lines like you're suggesting.