ExtremeSwitching (EXOS)

• 1.  Multicast routing between VRF's

Posted 03-07-2016 08:30
    Hi!

I wondering if it's possible to route incoming multicast from one VR to another VR in the same machine?

The reason is that I want to isolate a PIM domain for our IPTV customers from our core network. A simple solution would be to do a loop in the switch and push all traffic over that link, but that's cheating ;-)

Would be thankful for some insight and maybe configuration samples.

With regards
    Mattias

• 2.  RE: Multicast routing between VRF's

Posted 03-07-2016 12:41
    Currently we can only do Inter-VR Routing for IPv4 Unicast by using Static Routes.

• 3.  RE: Multicast routing between VRF's

So there's no way you can route multicast from one VR to another VR or Sub VR internally? (RD, BGP, OSPF)
    Feels very 2001 using a loop or an extra link to get multicast into another VR :-P

• 4.  RE: Multicast routing between VRF's

What type of isolation are you trying to get? PIM passive VLANs would prevent user vlans from seeing PIM messages.

• 5.  RE: Multicast routing between VRF's

We run PIM-SM passive today and push everything to our providers. But now many off them doesn't want that, they want us to have a ordinary PIM-SM with MSDP (I've gotten everything working except multicast). So to isolate them from our core, I want a separate VRF.
    A solution would be to add a new "droppoing" switch and it would only deliver to them, but it's just wrong ;-)

• 6.  RE: Multicast routing between VRF's

Posted 03-07-2016 12:53
    Hi Mattias,

You can find more details about the information provided by Stephen in the article below:

Routing configuration between VRs

• 7.  RE: Multicast routing between VRF's

Thanks Henrique!
    Though I already read it πŸ˜‰ and it's not unicast that's the problem....We are an IPTV distributor so multicast is kind of our thing πŸ˜ƒ

• 8.  RE: Multicast routing between VRF's

Hi Mike!

That's so true...simpliest solution is always best. :-)
    But we also has to acknowledge our providers request.
    So please develop inter-vrf multicast support ;-)

With regards
    Mattias

• 9.  RE: Multicast routing between VRF's

Posted 03-07-2016 18:22
    Not trying to high jack this post, but have a similar issue. i have a 460 with pim sparse to a external RP off my network. i pull 324 multicast via this sparse vlan. the rest of my network is currently dense, working as it is , i want to convert my entire network from dense to all sparse. which will cause me to have a different RP on my own network. could i use this same inter-VR solution to pass multicast from my current sparse VR to a new separate VR sparse ring? i was kind of thinking of using MSDP. thanks in advance,

• 10.  RE: Multicast routing between VRF's

Posted 03-08-2016 13:49
    Well I would like to have same thing with our network.
    The main core runs with MPLS but the PIM are doing the same work in the same OSPF area..
    I would like to create VR's and run the multicast separately.

• 11.  RE: Multicast routing between VRF's

Hey Mattias

I understand the business requirement but even unicast route leaking is a non-trivial task. Inter-vrf routing has always confused me. Take

My rule of thumb for multicast: the simplest solution that solves the problem is generally the right solution. PIM troubleshooting causes heartburn for many a network admin.

I am glad there's a workaround in this case - that always makes the conversation easier. And I'm always happy to see folks coming to the HUB community with these sorts of questions. It's a time saver and maybe saves you a call to support. And of course we welcome the discussion. Ultimately its customer requirements that decide direction - so we need to hear it.

I'm not saying its hip or elegant, but life is much easier with a five inch cat5 cable handling the tricky business.

Best regards,

Mike