ExtremeSwitching (EXOS)

Expand all | Collapse all

Code recommendations for X450G2

• 1.  Code recommendations for X450G2

Posted 10-05-2017 18:00
    I am looking for a conservative code upgrade recommendation.

We have just under 100 X450G2 stacks deployed on a customers network. Per the software release recommendations page (Updated in March) we are running 21.1.3.7-patch1-4.

We have experiences a know bug on this code twice now. When replacing a failed master the ssh key gets corrupted causing the replacement switch to fail repeatedly.

The tac engineer I was working with recommended 22.3.1.4, but that seems like a step. It is a different major release and does not even have any patches yet. I cannot find the CR he reference but here are the log messages.

10/02/2017 10:02:38.34

• 2.  RE: Code recommendations for X450G2

Posted 10-05-2017 18:08
    Hello David,

The easiest way around this issue it to re-create the SSH key on the stack. Here is an article that explains this a little better and has the CR:

https://gtacknowledge.extremenetworks.com/articles/Solution/Why-does-Enter-passphrase-show-up-during-boot

• 3.  RE: Code recommendations for X450G2

Posted 10-05-2017 18:10
    Dave,

Please let me know if this link works for you.

Click Here For Extreme Networks Software/Hardware Compatability Matrix

All the best,
    George

• 4.  RE: Code recommendations for X450G2

Patrick,

Thanks, that is the same article the other engineer found.

The work around is a bit of a rough as of the customer who will usually be looking to get back up and running fast. Both times I encountered this I saved the config as a script, unconfigured the stack, ran easy stacking, loaded the script, enabled ssh. It works but takes a few minutes.

So my only real alternative would be the last patched version of 22.2.x? That should have a little more run time and be fully patched by now.

Unless you advise against it I will likely go the 22.2.x route?

Thanks,

• 5.  RE: Code recommendations for X450G2

Hello David,

With any upgrade of code I would recommend looking at the release notes for that version to make sure there isn't any potential issues with the configuration running on the switch.

The solution 2 workaround should prevent the issue form happening at all and prevent any downtime as long as it is done before any SSH attempts are made. I recently had a case where the customer did this and they did not experience any crash.

Hope this helps!

• 6.  RE: Code recommendations for X450G2

Yes, I will check the release notes for the latest version of 22.2.x and see how that looks.

Solution 2 did not work for us the first time we encountered this. The second time, i went strait to the nuclear option.

Thanks for your input. I will check the release notes and post if i have any concerns.

• 7.  RE: Code recommendations for X450G2

Posted 10-05-2017 18:10
    George,

I am aware of the Matrix that is what led me to the bugged code in the first place. We should probably update that more often than every 7 months.