ExtremeSwitching (EXOS)

Expand all | Collapse all

Switch rebooting daily

• 1.  Switch rebooting daily

Posted 4 days ago
    I have 2 x460-g2 and 2 x440-48p stacked at my high school. Everyday for the past month or so they reboot around 10am-noon. I do not know what causes this, but it's becoming a headache especially getting closer to testing time. Can anyone help me with this? Thanks

• 2.  RE: Switch rebooting daily

Posted 4 days ago

Do you see anything in the logs? Command: "show log" (via CLI)

Regards

Stefan

• 3.  RE: Switch rebooting daily

Posted 4 days ago
    I'm not to tech savvy, but when I access the switch I see this repeating all day long.

• 4.  RE: Switch rebooting daily

Posted 4 days ago
    Could it possibly be the version being outdated?

• 5.  RE: Switch rebooting daily

Posted 3 days ago
    Stefan, good afternoon.
    I have some extreme x440-g2-48p switches
    They were delivered with currently outdated software. Can I update the software of my switches and what do I need for this?
    I have not received a single response to requests on the official website since March 2021.
    Thank you very much in advance.

• 6.  RE: Switch rebooting daily

Posted 4 days ago
    Looks like there is one of the stacking cables faulty or one of the stack ports. Stacking problems can result in a reboot. Can you replace the cable?

• 7.  RE: Switch rebooting daily

Posted 4 days ago
    Can you watch the results of a "show ports stack-ports rxerrors" and see if the CRC errors are counting up?

Thanks,
    Brad

• 8.  RE: Switch rebooting daily

Posted 4 days ago
    Looking at the back from 4:1 to 1:2 stacking ports, the lights aren't blinking like the rest. I am going to see about getting another cable

• 9.  RE: Switch rebooting daily

Posted 4 days ago
    I don't have any extra stacking cables.

• 10.  RE: Switch rebooting daily

Posted 4 days ago

Or pull stacking cable for a minute and see if it still logs media errors on the cable.

Allan Morris | Cloud/DC Manager
     MVP Network Consulting, LLC
     716.630.1701 | O: 716.362.7588
     Click this link to provide feedback on my performance!

Looks like there is one of the stacking cables faulty or one of the stack ports. Stacking problems can result in a reboot. Can you replace the cable? -posted to the "ExtremeSwitching (EXOS)" community

ExtremeSwitching (EXOS)

Post New Message

Re: Switch rebooting daily

Stefan K.

Oct 12, 2021 11:37 AM

Stefan K.

Looks like there is one of the stacking cables faulty or one of the stack ports. Stacking problems can result in a reboot. Can you replace the cable?

Reply to Group Online   View Thread   Recommend   Forward   Flag as Inappropriate  

You are subscribed to "ExtremeSwitching (EXOS)" as amorris@mvpworks.com. To change your subscriptions, go to My Subscriptions. To unsubscribe from this community discussion, go to Unsubscribe.

CAUTION: This email originated from outside of the organization. Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe.

• 11.  RE: Switch rebooting daily

Posted 4 days ago
    I'll try that after school lets out

• 12.  RE: Switch rebooting daily

Posted 4 days ago
    For your stacking setup are you using daisy chain or ring method to stack the switches?​

• 13.  RE: Switch rebooting daily

Posted 4 days ago
    I have 4 switches. stacking ports go 1:1 to 2:2, 2:1 to 3:2, 3:1 to 4:2, then 4:1 to 1:2

• 14.  RE: Switch rebooting daily

Posted 4 days ago
    Hi, you could try, as a test, removing the cable between 4:1 to 1:2 and see if this stops the log entries and the reboots.  The switches will be in daisy-chain mode from when you remove the cable which is not ideal, but may help in alleviating the reboot issue.

• 15.  RE: Switch rebooting daily

Posted 4 days ago
    Looks like your port is flapping are you using passive 10G DAC for connectivity between or Fiber SFPs? Also if Fiber are they Multimode or Singlemode?

• 16.  RE: Switch rebooting daily

Posted 4 days ago
    I will try this afternoon. I don't want to lose connection during lunch. Will that drop the connection, or will it be ok to daisy chain until I can get another stacking cable?

• 17.  RE: Switch rebooting daily

Posted 4 days ago

Hello i'm not part of this group, can you take me off of this emails?

Regards!!

• 18.  RE: Switch rebooting daily

Posted 4 days ago
    Fiber, not sure on multi or single.

• 19.  RE: Switch rebooting daily

Posted 4 days ago
    I also just started getting blasted by emails from Extreme.  I think they have a loose stacking cable too.

--

• 20.  RE: Switch rebooting daily

Posted 4 days ago

Directions to modifying subscription status are listed at the bottom of every single post to the group. Follow the links to set yourself free, regardless of whether you subscribed, or not.

-- 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This email message is intended only for the addressee(s) and may contain proprietary, copyrighted, confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient (or have received this email in error), please notify the sender immediately and delete/destroy this email. Any unauthorized copying, disclosure or distribution of the material in this email is strictly forbidden. E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. The sender therefore does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of this message, which arise as a result of e-mail transmission. If verification is required please request a hard-copy version. Gateway Regional School District, 12 Littleville Road, Huntington, MA, 01050.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• 21.  RE: Switch rebooting daily

Posted 4 days ago
    I concur.

Sent from a mobile device.

This electronic message is intended for the named recipient(s) only, and may contain information that is confidential or privileged. If you are not the named recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of the contents of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, or are not the named recipient, please notify us immediately by contacting the sender at the electronic mail address noted above, and delete and destroy all copies of this message. Thank you.

• 22.  RE: Switch rebooting daily

Posted 4 days ago
    Daisy chain should be fine, provided there is only one failing cable.

• 23.  RE: Switch rebooting daily

Posted 4 days ago
    Well, collectively, I'm sure everyone who has an account on the Extreme portal greatly appreciates this diversion and additional "unsubscribe action" today.

--