ExtremeSwitching (VSP)

Expand all | Collapse all

VOSS Switch indication via LED flashing

• 1.  VOSS Switch indication via LED flashing

Posted 06-28-2018 03:26
    i am looking for a command in VOSS that is the same like EXOS "enable led locator":

enable led locator {timeout [seconds | none]} {pattern [alternating | flash-all | high-to-low | scanner]} {slot [ slot | all ]}[/code]
    This helps if on a remote site some local level-1 guys should to correct cabeling.

Currently most ports at my system are shutdown - and all shutdown ports blinking - on all VSP Switches - so indication the correct system is not possible with port LEDs.
    If there is no compareable command out of the box - is it possible to turn off led flashing at shutdown ports?

Thanks for all advices.Regards

• 2.  RE: VOSS Switch indication via LED flashing

Posted 06-28-2018 10:47
    Flashing indicates that a port is admin disabled, if you admin enable it, it should stop flashing, even if nothing is connected. Please let me know if this does not work.

• 3.  RE: VOSS Switch indication via LED flashing

Hi Roger,

toggle port admin state on a productive network is not a choice to make a switch better visibile for cable guys...(because of the potential risk to shutdown a productive port) ...

I like having all unused ports shutdown by default.

It seems that my wished mechanism / feature is corrently not implemented.Do you agree ?

One solution could be to turn off LED flashing of all shutdown ports.
    A Second solution could be to let the led flashing in a different way like the shutdown ports - like EXOS does it with "high-to-low" or "scanner".
    Regards

• 4.  RE: VOSS Switch indication via LED flashing

The LED flashing function is especially important to locate switches in a stack, since VSPs don't stack, we have not seen this as a high priority feature so far. But I do agree, it could be useful in certain scenarios.