ExtremeSwitching (Other)

• 1.  Summit X670G2-48x-4q Stacking

Posted 03-22-2016 14:20
    Hey Guys,

we have two X670G2-48x-4q and want to build a Fail Over System.
    The first choice, what is better, MLAG or Stacking?

For Stacking i have some questions:
    License type Advanced edge correct?
    Can we use two of the 40G qsfp cables for the stack?

The EXOS_User_Guide_16_1.pdf describes more than one cli commands, show stack and more but in my cli it names stacking-support. Is the guide wrong or not updated?

regards

Jens

• 2.  RE: Summit X670G2-48x-4q Stacking

Posted 03-22-2016 14:23
    Hi Jens,
    Here's an awesome thread where this topic, specifically, is discussed: https://community.extremenetworks.com/extreme/topics/mlag-vs-stack-what-am-i-missing

• 3.  RE: Summit X670G2-48x-4q Stacking

Posted 03-22-2016 14:24
    Hi Jens,

As far as managing goes stacking is better because you are essentially dealing with one switch. MLAG will allow for an easier upgrade path without bringing down the network.

I dont understand the licenseing question. Can you please elaborate?

stacking support is meant for switches that have modules that can either be configured for up-links or stacking.

• 4.  RE: Summit X670G2-48x-4q Stacking

Posted 03-22-2016 14:34
    Hi Patrick,

in the cli documents you will find the "Stacking license restriction" but i dont found the right information, which licsene i need to use stacking. Did you mean, i only can stack, when i have the right moduls in the X670G2? I thought this is also about the 40G front panel qsfp availible?
    If this is possible only through the matrix connector on the backside?

regards

Jens

• 5.  RE: Summit X670G2-48x-4q Stacking

Posted 03-22-2016 14:34
    Jens, you're correct about using the front panel 40G QSFP+ ports for stacking on the X670-G2. There is no module available for the back of this switch model.
    Here's some additional information, which you may already know, about stacking on the X670-G2.
    Regarding licensing, the X670-G2 comes with an Advanced Edge license, which can be upgraded to core. There is no minimum license required for stacking, though all master-capable nodes will need to have the same base and feature licenses.