ExtremeWireless (WiNG)

Expand all | Collapse all

Slow switching between acess points even if they are have the same ssid and password

• 1.  Slow switching between acess points even if they are have the same ssid and password

Posted 02-13-2018 15:39
    Hello every one, I am new to extreme and i need to know about a problem i have, so please if any one can help. The problem thaf i have three exyreme access points which is connected to the network i have, this three access points are distributed in different rooms which is not too far from each other and they are using the two band 2.4 ghz and 5 ghz, when i connect my laptop to one access point, let us assume i connect it yo access point in room number 1 it is connected and have internet but when i ho to the other room which has the other extreme access point it takes too much to connect to it. The three access points have the same ssid

• 2.  RE: Slow switching between acess points even if they are have the same ssid and password

Posted 02-13-2018 15:47
    Hi

Are thes independent APs or are they using a Virtual Controller.

One thing to keep in mind is the MU (Wireless device) determines where to roam

I would suggest that you make one of the APs a Virtual Controller and let the other APs adopt to it. This way you can assue all aps have the same configuration and firmware version

• 3.  RE: Slow switching between acess points even if they are have the same ssid and password

Posted 02-13-2018 15:51
    A couple of questions...

1. How many clients are having this issue? More than one?
    2. What are the actual products you are working with? (part numbers, controller vs cloud)

• 4.  RE: Slow switching between acess points even if they are have the same ssid and password

Posted 02-13-2018 15:56
    Hello Ahmad,

1 - If they are connected to a routed switch, you will not have seamless roaming. Use a layer 2 switch.
    2 - Make sure they are on the same firmware version (latest recommended)
    3 - Start with the basic config changes per this doc: Wireless clients experiencing latency, intermittent disconnects and dropped packets on a WiNG wireless network

Hope this helps,

Chris

• 5.  RE: Slow switching between acess points even if they are have the same ssid and password

Posted 02-13-2018 16:13
    Can you tell us the model & firmware version of the APs?