Wireless (General)

Expand all | Collapse all

NAC Feature "RADIUS Clients to Monitor NAC"

• 1.  NAC Feature "RADIUS Clients to Monitor NAC"

Posted 11-18-2016 08:29
    During playing around (for another huge installation) in my lab NAC, i stumble over the above feature!

RADIUS Clients to Monitor NAC ??

Are there any use cases or configuration examples? Current Online Help, NAC Manuals are not helpful.

What is the difference between using "RADIUS Clients to Monitor NAC" or to configure a out-of-band system (like nagios) in standard "switch section" as regular RADIUS client to test RADIUS requests?

replys are welcome.

• 2.  RE: NAC Feature "RADIUS Clients to Monitor NAC"

Posted 11-18-2016 14:19
    Hello Matthias,

as I understand this feature, it can be used to monitor NAC using e.g. Nagios/Icinga (or Spectrum or ...) with a special account that is valid for monitoring only. This account does not allow network access. This is more secure than using a real user account for monitoring.

Erik

• 3.  RE: NAC Feature "RADIUS Clients to Monitor NAC"

Posted 11-19-2016 15:00
    Hello Matthias,

Please see the following help section description for the service:

Any authentication request coming from an IP address that matches the list of RADIUS monitor clients will be authenticated using the password you provided in the AAA mapping. In these cases, the username does not matter. The password configured will not be able to be used for authentication from any other part of the network. The Access Control engine responds back with a basic accept to any RADIUS monitor client’s RADIUS request.

Thanks
    -Ryan

• 4.  RE: NAC Feature "RADIUS Clients to Monitor NAC"

Posted 11-21-2016 00:52
    As well, it saves using one of your licensed switches for the monitoring host. I've just moved my monitoring script over to this method, and the other thing I noticed is it doesn't create an end-system (as I was using a fake MAC address).

When was this feature added, 7.0? It's not in the release notes at all.

• 5.  RE: NAC Feature "RADIUS Clients to Monitor NAC"

Posted 11-21-2016 11:21
    Hi James,

this makes sense and explained why the netsight programmer adding this GUI option.

This feature was added in Netsight 6.2:
    Ability to configure RADIUS monitoring tools to monitor NAC appliance performance and availability.

Regards

• 6.  RE: NAC Feature "RADIUS Clients to Monitor NAC"

Posted 02-06-2017 09:59
    I though a little deeper to use this feature on some customer installations ...

i will try to use not just a password for authentication but rather a user account which resides in the backend Active Directory, so with this i can check the whole Authentication process within NAC backend connectivity.
    (i hope this will work)

Regards,
    Matthias

• 7.  RE: NAC Feature "RADIUS Clients to Monitor NAC"

Posted 03-13-2017 03:18
    I'd like to use this feature to monitor our NACs. What kind of scripts are you using? Are you utilizing your checks with Nagios/Icinga?

Regards,
    Peter

• 8.  RE: NAC Feature "RADIUS Clients to Monitor NAC"

Posted 02-16-2021 15:55

Hy, 
    I know this is a very old thread, but it fits best to my question.

Does anyone know where to update the “Radius Monitor Clients” from new Oneview GUI?

Could not find it, and had to open the java gui.

BR

Anton

• 9.  RE: NAC Feature "RADIUS Clients to Monitor NAC"