Aerohive Migrated Content

Expand all | Collapse all

AP122 turns irresponsive when upload config / upgrade firmware / reboot.

sergi.dupe

sergi.dupe10-16-2018 06:51

sergi.dupe

sergi.dupe10-16-2018 20:11

sergi.dupe

sergi.dupe10-16-2018 20:29

sergi.dupe

sergi.dupe10-17-2018 11:31

sergi.dupe

sergi.dupe10-17-2018 12:19

• 1.  AP122 turns irresponsive when upload config / upgrade firmware / reboot.

Posted 10-15-2018 12:38

Everytime I upload any configuration, upgrade the firmware of my AP122 or a simply reboot, the AP losses the connection with HiveManager and the status led of the AP turns orange. Then the AP keeps irresponsive and the only solution is to push the reset button of the AP or perform a 'reset config' command through CLI.

• 2.  RE: AP122 turns irresponsive when upload config / upgrade firmware / reboot.

Posted 10-15-2018 19:34

Could you SSH in to the AP and run the following debugs:

_debug capwap info

_debug capwap basic

_debug capwap stat

Then replicate the issue (push an update, wait for it to disconnect). Once you've done that I want to pull tech data from the AP so we can see why it's loosing connection with the HM. This is a link to a guide that reviews how to collect tech data from the CLI of an AP-

https://thehivecommunity.aerohive.com/s/article/Collecting-Tech-Data-via-CLI

If you could email me the tech data at communityhelp@aerohvie.com, I'll review it for you and let you know the next steps.

• 3.  RE: AP122 turns irresponsive when upload config / upgrade firmware / reboot.

Posted 10-16-2018 06:51

Sent to the email.

• 4.  RE: AP122 turns irresponsive when upload config / upgrade firmware / reboot.

Posted 10-16-2018 13:25

Could you try sending that again to communityhelp@aerohvie.com? I don't see any emails from you yet.

• 5.  RE: AP122 turns irresponsive when upload config / upgrade firmware / reboot.

Posted 10-16-2018 16:01

sent again! copy&paste fails sometimes: communityhelp@aerohvie.com ;)

• 6.  RE: AP122 turns irresponsive when upload config / upgrade firmware / reboot.

Posted 10-16-2018 17:20

Sorry about that! Thanks for sending it again. I've reviewed the data and sent you my findings, but just as a quick recap here:

We see a few interference alarms, but all interference in in the 2.4 band and shouldn't be the cause of this issue.

More importantly the AP isn't able to reach the capwap address it's been set to. I've requested a couple pieces of information, once I have those I will send you the commands you'll need so you can copy and paste them (no typos this time, promise!) in to the AP and then you should be good to go. I also sent you the CAPWAP troubleshooting guide, that's going to outline the general direction I'm taking in case you're interested. Please let me know if I can clarify anything, thanks for your patience so far.

• 7.  RE: AP122 turns irresponsive when upload config / upgrade firmware / reboot.

Posted 10-16-2018 20:11

Thank you! I sent the requested info.

• 8.  RE: AP122 turns irresponsive when upload config / upgrade firmware / reboot.

Posted 10-16-2018 20:14

Thanks for that info! I've sent you the commands you'll want to run, but in case anyone else is following this thread, in general the commands we are going to run are:

no capwap client enable

no hivemanager

hivemanager <hivemanager address> primary

capwap client vhm-name <VHM name>

save config

capwap client enable

show capwap client

Then we're going to let the AP try to connect for 15 minutes. If it is still disconnected, we'll get new tech data.

• 9.  RE: AP122 turns irresponsive when upload config / upgrade firmware / reboot.

Posted 10-16-2018 20:27

Hi Sam,

I runned the commands and I realized one thing:

Last command shows the capwap config. In CAPWAP server ip is 34.253.190.204. SO far so good. But, when I exit the SSH terminal and I reopen the SSH session, CAPWAP server ip is 0.0.0.0.

• 10.  RE: AP122 turns irresponsive when upload config / upgrade firmware / reboot.

Posted 10-16-2018 20:29

ran*

• 11.  RE: AP122 turns irresponsive when upload config / upgrade firmware / reboot.

Posted 10-16-2018 20:29

That's a good catch, thanks for letting me know. When you log back in to the SSH session and run "show capwap client" and see the 0.0.0.0 address, do you also see the primary name and VHM-name you entered still listed in this output, or are those fields blank as well?

• 12.  RE: AP122 turns irresponsive when upload config / upgrade firmware / reboot.

Posted 10-16-2018 20:32

These fields are still listed. The only difference is the ip of the CAPWAP server.

• 13.  RE: AP122 turns irresponsive when upload config / upgrade firmware / reboot.

Posted 10-16-2018 20:33

That's good news. The AP is likely just trying to find the correct server. If you run the "show capwap client" command, then wait about 10-20 seconds, then run it again, do you see anything change or any information fill in for you? It can take up to 15 minutes for the APs to complete the connection process as well, so it might just be taking its time.

• 14.  RE: AP122 turns irresponsive when upload config / upgrade firmware / reboot.

Posted 10-16-2018 20:36

Bingo! again the ip appears. However, AP is still without connection.

We will wait 15 minutes. If there is no CAPWAP connection, then I will resend techdata log via email.

• 15.  RE: AP122 turns irresponsive when upload config / upgrade firmware / reboot.

Posted 10-17-2018 11:31

Sent email with tech data.

• 16.  RE: AP122 turns irresponsive when upload config / upgrade firmware / reboot.

This message was posted by a user wishing to remain anonymous
    Posted 10-17-2018 11:57

Sergi,

Can you also run a "capwap ping <server IP>"? This will send ICMP over the CAPWAP port. This should succeed. I say that only because it was connected prior to you updating the AP in some form.

It's odd that a firmware update is also impacting its connection. I'd expect the config update to possibly cause this if something was improperly configured and being pushed to the AP (native VLAN, or mgt0 VLAN change).

Also intriguing that a simple reboot of the AP breaks the connection.

When you ran Sams above commands, did they all work? I traditionally use "capwap client server name <HM IP or name> vs. "hivemanager <hivemanager address> primary". It looks like "hiveManager <server> primary" does indeed work as does "hiveManager vhm-name <vhm name>"! Learned something new from this thread.

• 17.  RE: AP122 turns irresponsive when upload config / upgrade firmware / reboot.

Posted 10-17-2018 12:18

Hi Brian,

capwap server 34.253.190.206 (server in which my ap is attacking) responds to ping requests.

When I ran Sam's commands, all of them worked well...

Respect to changes in native VLAN or mgt0 VLAN are set to 1 (default).

• 18.  RE: AP122 turns irresponsive when upload config / upgrade firmware / reboot.

Posted 10-17-2018 12:19

Indeed, odd behaviour of the AP...

• 19.  RE: AP122 turns irresponsive when upload config / upgrade firmware / reboot.

Posted 10-18-2018 15:32

Hi Sam, did you receive the last tech data log?

• 20.  RE: AP122 turns irresponsive when upload config / upgrade firmware / reboot.

Posted 10-18-2018 15:37

Yes Sergi, I just sent you a response. Sorry for the delay, I wanted to get a second opinion on the data before I responded.

• 21.  RE: AP122 turns irresponsive when upload config / upgrade firmware / reboot.

Posted 10-25-2018 12:03

Private email sended with the ownership transfer letter.

• 22.  RE: AP122 turns irresponsive when upload config / upgrade firmware / reboot.

Posted 10-25-2018 14:42

Could you try sending it again? I'm not seeing anything yet.

• 23.  RE: AP122 turns irresponsive when upload config / upgrade firmware / reboot.

Posted 10-25-2018 14:48

Hi Sam,

I've sent it to communityhelp@aerohive.com.

Regards

• 24.  RE: AP122 turns irresponsive when upload config / upgrade firmware / reboot.

Posted 10-25-2018 15:38

Thanks, I got it this time and responded, I think we're almost there! Thanks for your patience and for getting that confirmation for us, I know it's been a long process but I really appreciate you working with us on this.

• 25.  RE: AP122 turns irresponsive when upload config / upgrade firmware / reboot.

Posted 11-06-2018 07:34

Dear Sam,

Sorry for the delay in the response. I've changed my Internet Service Provider and it has been a very slow process.

Back on the job again, I've been testing the AP uploading delta and complete configs as well as upgrading the firmware. Seems that everything works nice again!! No connection losses or weird behaviours.

It has been a very long process but I really appreciate also your patience and help.

Really appreciate!

Best regards!

• 26.  RE: AP122 turns irresponsive when upload config / upgrade firmware / reboot.

Posted 11-06-2018 13:52

I'm very glad things are working for you again, thanks very much for letting me know. I'm happy to help any time, please don't hesitate to reach out in the future if you need anything further!