ExtremeCloud IQ- Site Engine & Extreme Management Center

• 1.  Laptops unable to connect to wireless

Posted 07-29-2015 11:21
    Our school district's Windows 7 laptops are unable to connect to the wireless with the "validate server certificate" setting enabled under the wireless properties. If I uncheck that box the laptop is able to connect. With about 1000 laptops unchecking that on all will be a pain. Would adding a certificate to the NAC solve this problem?

• 2.  RE: Laptops unable to connect to wireless

Posted 07-29-2015 11:38
    Hi Kent,

as it isn't clear from your post my assumption is that ...

The Win7 laptop is connected to a SSID which is using 802.1X PEAP and is authenticated via the NAC which has a conenction to a databse (i.e. LDAP) to check the accounts.

Correct ? If not please let us know how the systems interwork which each other.

-Ron

• 3.  RE: Laptops unable to connect to wireless

Posted 07-29-2015 11:39
    Yes, that is correct.

• 4.  RE: Laptops unable to connect to wireless

Posted 07-29-2015 11:45
    Kent

You'll need to either deploy the CA certificate to the clients trusted certificate store or uncheck the validate server certificate box, which I think can be done via Group Policy definition.

The problem seems to be that the client can't match the server certificate as a trusted one, this is why it works when the client is told not to validate the server certificate it works.

This article might help: https://gtacknowledge.extremenetworks.com/articles/Solution/802-1x-User-PEAP-User-Rejected-in-NAC

-Gareth

• 5.  RE: Laptops unable to connect to wireless

• 6.  RE: Laptops unable to connect to wireless

Posted 07-29-2015 12:30
    Is there a was to export the current certificate in NAC so I can deploy it on a laptop?

• 7.  RE: Laptops unable to connect to wireless

Posted 07-29-2015 12:30
    Where is your root CA, if NAC is terminating 802.1X the certificate will be self signed and probably not what you want?

This article might help: https://gtacknowledge.extremenetworks.com/articles/How_To/How-To-Update-NAC-Internal-Communications-...

• 8.  RE: Laptops unable to connect to wireless

Posted 08-26-2015 14:09
    Just an update. We got a certificate from GoDaddy and added the wireless settings to a gpo. Our laptops are now connecting without issue. Thank you for all your advice.

• 9.  RE: Laptops unable to connect to wireless

Posted 08-26-2015 14:09
    Hi Kent, Thanks for coming back and updating the thread. Glad to see you got it sorted out!