Solved

Where to download vSLX

• 17 October 2020
  • 3 replies

Hello,

We have a modest installation of VDX in our company, and we are in the process of reviewing options for upgrades. I would like to spend some time with SLX to compare and I understand the vSLX environment allows me to model a lot of what we have in a lab setting. What I cannot find is where I can access this to download and try things out.

I would hope there isn’t some Sales Gatekeeping going on here. There is no logical reason why, when I have an account and Sales people can track downloads etc, why I can’t just get on and try stuff out myself. If I have to spend a ton of time with Sales Engineers before I have had the chance to qualify the solution capabilities at a high level, I’ll probably just pass tbh.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

John

icon

Best answer by joergkost 17 October 2020, 17:18

Right now the VSLX download is to be bundled with a SLX support contract only, which makes some how sense: The VSLX  is currently not a kind of a production grade product on its own and support for it is "as is".  For example I use it to  validate some major configuration changes but the real usage depends solely on the future underlying hardware (e.g. 9540, 9140, ..). 

Also the virtualization is  a bit limited (e.g. MPLS data plane, ...).

I know it sounds naive, but maybe you can reach out to a partner that can provide you access to a machine with VSLX and evaluate things with you together? 

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 2

Right now the VSLX download is to be bundled with a SLX support contract only, which makes some how sense: The VSLX  is currently not a kind of a production grade product on its own and support for it is "as is".  For example I use it to  validate some major configuration changes but the real usage depends solely on the future underlying hardware (e.g. 9540, 9140, ..). 

Also the virtualization is  a bit limited (e.g. MPLS data plane, ...).

I know it sounds naive, but maybe you can reach out to a partner that can provide you access to a machine with VSLX and evaluate things with you together? 

Thanks for the input Joerg.

It’s a shame, since i’m able to get virtualised lab editions of product from other vendors like Cisco, Arista, Juniper, and Cumulus all with a simple account for tracking purposes. I invariably get called/emailed within a few weeks of fetching something, so i’m “in the system”, and all of these evaluation editions are suitably limited so no right thinking person might try to use them in a production setting.

As a result I can toss up simulations of my configs to do some basic validation and sense checking, prior to entering the real PoC cycle, where I only want qualified options that are worth investing the time and effort around. To engage pre-sales people on what may or may not be a viable/preferable solution serves only to waste an awful lot of people’s time, including my own.

Oh well, on to the next one…

Thanks,

John

Userlevel 2

John, I am not an Extreme employee, but I am confident in the product.

If you want, you can access our  VSLX evaluation host / lab for a week or two and play around.  Just pm me your full contact details (“the business” part) to be on the safe side and also a copy of a SSH public key.  As a tech guy, I won’t bug you with sales - at least if you don't ask for it :-)