404 Error after upgrading AP4532 from WiNG 5.5 to 5.7

• Problem
  • Updated 1 year ago
  • Solved
For testing of newer WiNG platform, removed 3 AP's from production (5.5) and factory reset them.  Then updated one to 5.7, thinking I'd make it a controller and test with the other two (4522).  After the upgrade, when I try to hit the web interface to set it up - I simply get a 404 error on https.  Any thoughts?  Did I break the internet?
Photo of Eric Burke

Eric Burke

• 3,082 Points 3k badge 2x thumb

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of Orson Joseph

Orson Joseph, Employee

• 240 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Hi Eric,

Here is a few things you can try.

Try using a different web browser

Make sure you are using https.

From the CLI, make sure https or http is enable in the management.

Regards,

Orson

Photo of BigRic

BigRic

• 354 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Just tried from another machine and same issue (sorry, logged in under another account as FB does not work from this one).  Source shows nothing:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"?>
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN"
         "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en" lang="en">
 <head>
  <title>404 - Not Found</title>
 </head>
 <body>
  <h1>404 - Not Found</h1>
 </body>
</html>
Photo of Christoph S.

Christoph S., Employee

• 2,804 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
Hello Eric,

If this is happening on the 3 APs you upgraded, and it's not a browser issue, is it possible that you used a lean image (no Web UI access) for the upgrade?

Can you still SSH or console into them?

If so, try to run the commands listed in this article to see if they help: AP6511/AP6521/AP6532/AP621/AP650 Unable to Access GUI

Regards,

Chris
Photo of BigRic

BigRic

Thanks Chris.  Seems that the older 5432 does not support standalone.  And I'm not not mistaken, now that I've moved forward I can't go back to 5.5.  The units used to support 12 (maybe 24) AP's as controllers.  Maybe not anymore.  Now I'm lost.  I only updated this one, as i was planning to use it as the controller.
Photo of BigRic

BigRic

Actually, looks like reverting to the prior image via CLI worked okay.  Not sure if there will be any long term issues, but it seems to be okay right now.  Guessing I'm going to have to stay with this build...
Photo of Vedran Jurak

Vedran Jurak

• 1,018 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
I had the same issue last week with an AP7522 after upgrading it from 5.8.6 to 5.9.0. Factory reset via the console solved it.
Photo of Eric Burke

Eric Burke

• 3,082 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
Unfortunately, no love there.  Also tried it on a 4522 (original was a 4532) and it did the same thing.  4522 has a console port, so I tried to factory that unit and it came up the same way (404).  Looks like this is some type of "thin" image that does not have the UI components.  Almost like you "have to" have a standalone controller instead of allowing an AP to act as one.  Very annoying.
Photo of Christoph S.

Christoph S., Employee

Hi Eric,

If you upgraded the APs via a controller without having loaded the full image onto the controller first then yes you might have upgraded the AP with a LEAN image. The solution is very simple, download and load a full image on the APs directly. Those are available for all. You should be able to upgrade to the latest firmware and have Web UI access without a doubt. 

1. Revert back the previous firmware version (with GUI access)
  2. Download the firmware for the APs in question
  3. Configure the virtual controller AP and adopt the other APs
  4. Upgrade the virtual controller to the latest firmware version from GUI (not CLI). Only use TFTP or FTP. Make sure you have GUI access. Wait a bit to see if the other APs will start upgrading. If nothing happens upgrade the virtual controller again from GUI using the exact same steps. The other APs should start upgrading. 
If you'd like to upgrade them one at a time then you can do this from CLI:

How to upgrade a WiNG controller or AP from CLI

Regards,

Chris
(Edited)
Photo of BigRic

BigRic

Chris, thanks for this info.  I updated each directly from it's own UI (not from a controller). The image looks to be about 3mb smaller than the older ones (5.5 for example).  I checked the download pages, but for these older AP's, I only see this one image available.  Are full images available somewhere else?  Again, these are 4532 and 4522 AP's.  I've attached a screenshot of the sizes of each from my tftp folder.

Thanks!
Photo of Christoph S.

Christoph S., Employee

Hello Eric,

You are loading an intermediate/ conversion image onto the APs. This should only be used when converting them from Extreme to WiNG. In other words making the AP4532 an AP6532.

This image should not be used for anything other than the conversion process. If your intention is to convert them to WiNG then you will need to upgrade to the final 5.7 Zebra image per info below:

Extreme product name    Intermediate/Conversion image name              Final Zebra Image (WiNG)
AP4532                           AP4532-CONVERSION-5.7.0.0-057RM.img    AP6532-5.7.0.0-057R.img

If you don't intend on converting them to WiNG then the Extreme firmware you're currently on (5.5) is probably the latest you can upgrade to.

Should you wish to get them up to latest WiNG image, you will have to go through firmware AP6532-5.7.0.0-057R.img first. All this is information is in the release notes for 5.7.0.0.

Please contact the Extreme wireless support team for more information on the conversion process. 

Regards,

Chris
Photo of BigRic

BigRic

Thanks Chris.  For this client, we've got almost 200 4532's deployed and we are going to probably double that in the next year.  My thinking was that we really need to get the old AP's up to the most current build of WiNG (which Extreme really was mostly anyway, no?).  This will enable us to continue with WiNG products over a mix of Extreme, WiNG, etc. I'll give this a shot.  Thanks again!
Photo of Christoph S.

Christoph S., Employee

My pleasure Eric!

Once you've got the AP4532 APs on WiNG 5.7 (final version), they will become fully fledged WiNG APs (AP6532) that can be upgraded to the latest firmware. You can then add as many newer APs to the mix and have them work together seamlessly. 

I would assume that they are all managed by a controller which should follow the same conversion process.

Regards,

Chris