cancel
Showing results forĀ 
Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

40GB-F10-QSFP breakout cable connection question

40GB-F10-QSFP breakout cable connection question

Douglas_Hunt
Extreme Employee
I have a customer that needs to connect a S-Series (S1) 40Gig to 4 - X460G2 at 10gig. The part being used is 40GB-F10-QSFP which is the breakout cable, but the concern is, will the X460G2 support the SM connection.

9 REPLIES 9

Douglas_Hunt
Extreme Employee
Thanks for all your guidance..

Stephane_Grosj1
Extreme Employee
Ok, because this is SMF, then you need on the "40G" Side (the S-Series) to have a QSFP+ PSM transceiver. This is only the transceiver, no cables, it's not a DAC either. On the other side (the x460-G2's) you will need to have regular SFP+ LR (assuming you need LR, ie < 10Km). I'm not aware of a solution for ER/ZR.

10326 QSFP+ PSM Optical Module QSFP+ (4X10GBASE) breakout optical module, MPO connector, 10km SMF link length

In between, that will depend on your fiber plant. We have in our pricelist a SMF MPO-to-4xLC patch cable.

10327 MPO to 4xLC breakout patch cable, SM 10m MPO to 4 x LC breakout patch cable, Single-Mode 10m

If you need SC/APC connector, you'll have to ask your usual fiber vendor.

If the x460-G2's are close enough to the S1, I'd encourage you to use MMF, that would be cheaper using QSFP+ SR4 or some DAC.

Douglas_Hunt
Extreme Employee
Thanks for jumping in.. Yes, single mode fiber. I will pass on your information.

Thanks again

Stephane_Grosj1
Extreme Employee
Hi,

sorry to jump in, but I don't understand several things here.

- 40GB-F10-QSFP ref is not a breakout (fanout) cable. It's a 10m long Active Optical Cable, so QSFP+ to QSFP+ (40G to 40G). While you could breakout it to 4x10G to 4x10G, this is not supported on the x460-G2.

We do have fanout 40G cables, passive copper ones, active optical ones, maybe you were referring to the 10GB-4-F10-QSFP?

- What do you mean by "SM"? Is it Single Mode Fiber?

If you need SMF, you need to use a PSM QSFP+ transceiver to achieve the breakout into 4x10G LR.

GTM-P2G8KFN