cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

800-series console problem / factory default

800-series console problem / factory default

Dietmar_Bunk
New Contributor
how can we manage an 800-switch (08G20G4-24) - we have forgot the configured IP-address and cannot manage via serial-console (no output on the terminal- maybe the serial port is disabled). how can we set the switch to factory-default (IP: 192.168.10.1) and how can we enable the serial-console?

the switch bootet and work fine (all port are o.k. and data were transfered) - here are the LED-status: PWR-LED lits green / CPU-LED does´nt lit / RPS-LED does´nt lit / FAN-LED does´nt lit

thanks a lot!
11 REPLIES 11

Mike_D
Extreme Employee

To clear up a bit of misunderstanding in this thread
CPU led off indicates POST passed and console off. (per quickstart)
a bit vague given the problem as described.

found this to mean
* Hardware tests passed at last boot. Systems and ports OK.
* No active console management present.

When logged in with proper cred's led is green. 'console active'.

Mike_D
Extreme Employee
[previous response edited; deletion of unverified info]
Mike

Hello Dietmar,

options are limited to the suggestion by Nicolas - assuming passwords are available.
The switch should arp for a gateway soon enough. If no gateway is configured, try a link bounce to generate trap or syslog. Try a port scan/discovery security tool.
(Note the host management VLAN caveat)

If no IP management is available and console is disabled, management is not recoverable.

Investigating other options for your 800 turned out to be counterproductive.
* Management lockout is covered under neither warranty nor contract.
* I voided one of our lab warranties trying to locate a battery. (which I could then warn you not remove). No help here. I found none.

Mike

If by chance you can get the IP address then try to tftp a modified configuration (without passwords -and verify the baud rate in config - command would be
confi serial_port_baud_rate 9600 auto_logout 10_minutes) and check it out.
JASON

Nicolas_Nguyen
Extreme Employee
It happened to me : I forgot the IP address configured on 800 series and I didn't have the serial cable.
So I used Wireshark and listened on ports to see if an IP address was sent by the switch.
And that's how I got the IP address of the device.
But for that, you'll have to be sure that one of the ports is in the management VLAN.
GTM-P2G8KFN