cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Access points

Access points

JeremyClarkson
New Contributor
Does Extreme not provide Access Points that dont need a controller?
7 REPLIES 7

Raffi
Extreme Employee
In addition to the new cloud functionality, we also have a feature called "sites". This would use a centrally accessible customer owned hardware controller or virtual controller for inventory / configuration and firmware updates. The aps would work at the remote sites autonomously. There are only a few limits, like a max # of aps / users per site.

Thomas_Borrel
Extreme Employee
Jeremy,

Not sure what your goals and objectives are, but you might want to take a look at ExtremeCloud.
Our 802.11ac Wave 2 access point can be provisioned and managed by ExtremeCloud so you don't need any controller to manage your Wireless LAN infrastructure. Additionally, the Access Points run the same software, so if your business imperatives drive you to transform from Cloud-Managed to Local-Controller-Managed, you can continue to operate using the same Access Points.
Let me know if you have any questions - Happy to discuss specifics with you.

Best,

Thomas.

Andre_Brits_Kan
Contributor II
Hi Jeremy

Currently you can configure a AP to operate without the controller (Restart Service in the absence of Controller)
But you will require the controller for initial setup.

That being said, I saw that new firmware will be available that will allow the same AP to operate in Stand alone mode, Controlled mode (On site controller) or to the Extreme Wireless Cloud.
I am not sure if this will only apply to the new 39xx series or if it will also apply to the 37xx and 38xx.

Perhaps someone from extreme side can comment.

Regards

But at the moment there is nothing for a standalone WiFI network?
GTM-P2G8KFN