Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Analytics and DNS Resolution

Analytics and DNS Resolution

Ian_Broadway
New Contributor III
Hi All,

As the title suggest, I would like the IPs in the Analytic flows etc to resolve to hostnames.

I have been through the settings and all dns resolution options are set, but no joy.

Does it rely on NAC/DHCP fingerprinting to do this? I assume not as the options are separate in the Analytics config.

Thanks
Ian
3 REPLIES 3

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

Gonna throw this one out there for debate, but I believe you can get that information via DHCP snooping and then populate Identity management on the switch.

You could then use XML-Notification to send the information directly to NetSight and get the end-system information without the need for NAC.

That doesn't necessarily answer the why have a DNS resolution option in Analytics, but it might offer an alternative if you don't have NAC.

Sure someone on the community can correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks

Ian_Broadway
New Contributor III
Thank you for the response.

If the resolution relies on having NAC, how would it work in the event of not having NAC? Whats the significance of the Analytics having options for DNS resolution?

Mike_Thomas
Extreme Employee
Yes, this is done via NAC Integration, if you have a NAC available to use. The NAC does nsloookups to resolve hostnames via DNS.
GTM-P2G8KFN