AP7522 POE issue

• Problem
  • Updated 1 year ago
  • Solved
Please help, today i have being setting up and configuring 10 AP7522s i have got 7 all working correctly but for some reason 3 have POE issues they are constantly rebooting and do not say up. I have changed the cable, directly connected the AP tried different POE config on the switchports but nothing.

The switch is providing POE so all i get is the below:

*Oct 16 10:56:16.747: %ILPOWER-7-DETECT: Interface Fa2/0/23: Power Device detected: IEEE PD 
*Oct 16 10:56:17.787: %ILPOWER-5-POWER_GRANTED: Interface Fa2/0/23: Power granted 
*Oct 16 10:56:22.435: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface FastEthernet2/0/23, changed state to up
*Oct 16 10:56:24.463: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface FastEthernet2/0/23, changed state to up
*Oct 16 10:56:40.723: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface FastEthernet2/0/23, changed state to down
*Oct 16 10:56:45.744: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface FastEthernet2/0/23, changed state to up
*Oct 16 10:57:01.191: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface FastEthernet2/0/23, changed state to down
*Oct 16 10:57:05.926: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface FastEthernet2/0/23, changed state to up
*Oct 16 10:58:03.314: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface FastEthernet2/0/23, changed state to down
*Oct 16 10:58:04.328: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface FastEthernet2/0/23, changed state to down
*Oct 16 10:58:03.390: %ILPOWER-7-DETECT: Interface Fa2/0/23: Power Device detected: IEEE PD
*Oct 16 10:58:04.396: %ILPOWER-5-POWER_GRANTED: Interface Fa2/0/23: Power granted 
*Oct 16 10:58:09.030: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface FastEthernet2/0/23, changed state to up

it just repeats over and over 

Please help thanks
Photo of Michael Wright

Michael Wright

• 324 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of Edmundo Bermudez

Edmundo Bermudez

• 498 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Hi Michael

Do you use any NX platform to manage 7522 APs?
The PoE you're testing with is 802.3 af?
Photo of Michael Wright

Michael Wright

Yes it's an nx platform and yes it's 802.3af

Edmundo Bermudez

You can validate that the 3 APs that are restarted, finished updating the Firmware

You can see it using
! ### show adoption status

!###  show adoption history
Photo of Michael Wright

Michael Wright

Tried both commands but I cannot connect to the aps to see their status as they don't power up long enough before they reboot for example

Show adoption history on xxxxxx

Error: querying device

If I just try show adoption status or adoption history I see aps listed but they show adopted unadopted one after the other.

Any other suggestions?

Thank you for the help so far!
(Edited)
Photo of Michael Wright

Michael Wright

Tried both commands but I cannot connect to either device to see status they power up long enough before they reboot for example

Show adoption history on xxxxxx
Error: querying device

If I just try show adoption status or adoption history I see aps listed but they show adopted unadopted one after the other.

Any other suggestions?

Thank you for the help so far!

Edmundo Bermudez

You can try to connect through the console port to the
Ap7522 and press the Enter key before loading the system to discard that it is Firmware problem and try to start with the second partition.

If in this mode the AP restarts I would tell you that it is HW problem and I would request an RMA
Photo of Timo

Timo

• 3,210 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
Hi,

do you check the power budget?

show  power inline

Is it a Cisco or HP switch? Sometimes the negotiation between AP and Switch failed. In this case the AP get full power.
Photo of Michael Wright

Michael Wright

I tried what you suggested Edmundo but it seems its just reloads again. it's a Cisco switch and there is plently of power available to power the APs, This is happening on two different switch located on the network
Photo of Ondrej Lepa

Ondrej Lepa, Employee

• 5,218 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Hi Michael,

could you also test only those three affected APs all alone?
Not necessarily this is a PoE issue. Might be DoA AP...

Any chance to get console connection for affected APs?
See description in article here

Regards,
Ondrej
Photo of Michael Wright

Michael Wright

Please see attached a video of the console boot you can play this back on tera term, let me know your thoughts 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mlwbmzhtat6xghg/AP02.tty?dl=0
Photo of Ondrej Lepa

Ondrej Lepa, Employee

• 5,178 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Michael,

I do see important event "NSM-4-IFDOWN" which basically means that port is shutdown and that is why AP goes into reboot.

There is good minute and half gap between first and second PD signature in above log, which means AP boots and operates for certain amount of time.

I do wonder if there is any configuration present on affected APs.
Are those getting adopted when booting or are those standalone?
Also, are every time same APs showing the problem? Different ports on switch?

I do smell hardware issue here...

Regards,
Ondrej
Photo of Michael Wright

Michael Wright

I believe the first time  they booted they spoke spoke to the NX6500 as its reports the switchports they are connected too, but they seem to no longer do that. 

I have tried different switch ports/switches and still getting the same problem. 

I believe it could be hardware as well, but i just thought it seems to much of a coincidence that three all have the same issue.  
Photo of Ondrej Lepa

Ondrej Lepa, Employee

Michael,

if these APs are not stable enough to check configuration there is no way to try i.e. factory reset.

I'd personally recommend to RMA those affected.

Regards,
Ondrej
Photo of Timo

Timo

Can you check, how many watt the APs use and what class the APs report?
Photo of Michael Wright

Michael Wright

Please see POE output below:

Interface Admin  Oper       Power   Device              Class Max
                            (Watts)
--------- ------ ---------- ------- ------------------- ----- ----
Fa2/0/23  auto   on         15.4    Ieee PD             4     15.4

Interface  AdminPowerMax   AdminConsumption
             (Watts)           (Watts)
---------- --------------- --------------------

Fa2/0/23              15.4                 15.4
Photo of Ondrej Lepa

Ondrej Lepa, Employee

3af is more than enough to keep these APs alive.
My AP7522 lives well, serving MCX, with as high as 7.8mW

Regards,
Ondrej
Photo of Timo

Timo

Looks like a power handling problem? I think it was LLDP-MED that negotiate the power levels between switch and ap. Try to check this settings and disable it.

Is it possible that the power budget is to low, if the APs get 15.4 Watt?
Photo of Ondrej Lepa

Ondrej Lepa, Employee

Timo, 

Time-Lenght-Value (TLV) extension carries Power via Media-Dependent-Interface (MDI). See snapshot from my lab

If the power budged is too low AP should not boot correctly as PSE allocated value won't fit classification signature at AP side.

Disabling the LLDP on each side will bring no negotiation, hence full AF power.
Which seems to be provided anyway.

Michale could capture LLDP on switch side to see what is AP asking for, but I am afraid it won't bring much more light. If other switches / ports and cables were tested the fault seems to be at AP side.

Regards,
Ondrej
Photo of Michael Wright

Michael Wright

Timo your advice fixed the problem!! (no lldp tlv-select power-management command fixed it ) out of the three APs I have all but one working, so now my issue is the last AP powers up and stays up but it doesn't get adopted i cannot see it getting a DHCP address. 

Any advice?
Photo of Timo

Timo

show adoption history

With this command you can see why it's not adopted (if it can reach the controller).

Edmundo Bermudez

Can you connect through the console to the APs?

With this we could confirm if it is HW problem
Photo of Michael Wright

Michael Wright

It doesn't reach the controller, i'm afraid the AP is about 6 hours drive away now so i'm unable to console on to the AP any other suggestions?
Photo of Timo

Timo

Does the AP get a IP address and can you connect? Check for information via LLDP or CDP.

Do you check the adoption history? Any connection from this AP?
Photo of Michael Wright

Michael Wright

using LLDP I can see a Chassis ID which show an IP address locally obtained by DHCP I can ping the address but i cannot access via SSH. 

I have checked adoption history and I cannot see any info for this AP.
Photo of Timo

Timo

Strange, try do disable and enable PoE to reboot the AP. If this don't work, no idea. Maybe you can try to SSH from the Cisco switch direct, if it's firewall or routing problem.
Photo of Michael Wright

Michael Wright

I've just checked, i misread the LLDP the AP it isn't getting an IP address. tried a reboot several time but nothing.
Photo of Andrew Webster

Andrew Webster

• 1,816 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
How is the AP discovering the controller?  DHCP options, or something else?
Photo of Michael Wright

Michael Wright

APs are discovered by DHCP options
Photo of Andrew Webster

Andrew Webster

If the AP is not getting an IP address, this indicates a Layer 2 issue between the DHCP server and the AP.

This is typically cased by a VLAN mismatch.

Photo of Michael Wright

Michael Wright

I have 10 of these access points 3 on one vlan and 7 on another all of this aps are configured the same and 9 of the 10 have been adopted and are functioning correctly​

The switchport config is

Switchport mode trunk
Switchport trunk native vlan 4

This access point isn't getting a lease from DHCP no matter which vlan I put it in.

Thanks
Photo of Timo

Timo

Native vlan is 4 and DHCP is vlan 1? The AP need a untag VLAN to get a IP address, if it's a clean AP. Do you have free DHCP IPs?

Check for the right VLAN as untag and available DHCP address. If this are booth right, the AP is damage.
Photo of Michael Wright

Michael Wright

DHCP is Vlan 4 and switchport is trunking Vlan 4, plenty of DHCP leases available within the scope, do we agree this AP is faulty?

Thanks for everyone's help so far, it's been really helpful!
Photo of Andrew Webster

Andrew Webster

The fact that you are seeing LLDP info on the switch port indicates that a) the AP booted up OK; b) there is nothing physically wrong with the interface.  Both of these facts point to a configuration mismatch of some sort.

I've seen many instances where the AP has been configured incorrectly either by accident (typos) or due to unintentional behavior caused by profile overrides.   The AP's configuration ends up such that the network interface does not match the switch port setting.

Please post the output of the AP's exected interface config.  You can do this from the controller CLI with "show run device device_mac_address" and include all the lines for "interface ge1, interface vlan, etc".

Also include the switch's interface config for that interface.