Showing results forĀ 
Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Auto Hope between two different model APs

Auto Hope between two different model APs

Ravi_Patel
New Contributor
Hi,
I have few Motorola AP 5131 and few Wing AP 7532. I have created same SSID under all APs Example SSID: WWMS-WiFi.
I checked that my wireless device can auto hope as I walk in ware house.
But at some point my devise keep connected to AP which is far than nearest AP.
Do you think auto hope can work between any two APs(Assuming Same SSID)?

8 REPLIES 8

ckelly
Extreme Employee
Ravi, to be 100% clear, even if you have the same vendor APs and are using PSK, a wireless client will still have to re-authenticate every time it roams (generally takes about 40-60ms). The only way to help this process is to enable one of the 'fast' type roaming protocols. (OKC, FT, PMK).

If you are just using pre-shared-key authentication (PSK), the roaming process is pretty quick. It's normally not a problem and happens quickly enough that users don't notice.

When this re-authentication CAN be a problem is when the client is using a time-sensitive application - like a voice call and using 802.1X authentication. If it's using PSK instead (no 802.1X), this MIGHT NOT be a problem. But if it's using 802.1X, and there's no fast roaming protocol being used, then most certainly the re-authentication process is going to be disruptive to the voice call. The 802.1X authentication process will generally take 500-750ms...which is far too long a time to be acceptable for disruptive voice calls. The majority of that time it taken by the during the .1X/EAP frame exchange.

Ravi_Patel
New Contributor
Hi Carlos,
Yes, you are right. my devices are able to hope between two different vendor APs but as you said it will re authenticate if it's different vendor AP.
So, what exactly will happen in re authenticate ?
The issue i am facing here is my devices are auto disconnecting and auto connecting if its different vendor AP will come near by. Is this happening re authenticate?
Suppose I have all same APs then my devices should roaming between all APs and I will not have this re authenticate(dis connect & connect) issue. Is this right?
Thank you

Carlos_AssunĆ§Ć£o
New Contributor III
Hi, the authentication between roaming will happen , I have no doubt about that. But it will work even between different vendor. Got several projects with legacy access points and WiNG 5.X.

Aviv_Kedem
Contributor
Hello Carlos, IF you know what you are doing, it will work, but if not... it's not. It's not officially supported configuration. Regards Aviv Kedem
GTM-P2G8KFN