Auto upgrade AP3825i how long , we have 800 units spread across 2 controllers

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
We are going to upgrade a couple of v5210 in the near future , attached are approx 400 AP's ( for example AP3825i ) to each controller.
After the upgrade  I understand the AP's when reconnecting will look for a software update from the new code .

My question is how long will my AP's be in a unstable state as not all 400 will get upgraded at one time ..

What is the best way to upgrade the AP's ..
Photo of Rod Robertson

Rod Robertson

• 2,344 Points 2k badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of JP

JP

• 984 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I push the updates manually to the AP's rather than let them auto-upgrade.From AP, Global Settings, AP maintenance- change the upgrade behavior to "Upgrade when AP connects using settings from Controlled Upgrade"  You can then use the controlled upgrade tab to push the updates when you want.  Just another option to look at. 
(Edited)
Photo of Rod Robertson

Rod Robertson

So the AP's will continue to operate with the new code on the controller.. even though they have old code ?
Photo of JP

JP

• 984 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
That has been my experience in doing small incremental updates.  I usually update the controllers, update a few AP's, test briefly and continue on with updating the AP's. 

But what code are you currently running and what are you moving to ?
Photo of Chris Sherman

Chris Sherman

• 546 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
That's correct and that's the way I always do it.  Never had a hiccup.  And although maybe not technically all at once, it sure seems like it.  3825s have a very fast processor and, if you've got Ron's concerns covered, I'd guess they'd be back up in less than 5 minutes - 10 minutes is what I always advertise - just in case. I have 4110s.
Photo of Chris Sherman

Chris Sherman

And forgive me for sounding like Captain Obvious, but just make sure you change that setting prior to the migration or it'll be too late!
Photo of Ronald Dvorak

Ronald Dvorak, Embassador

• 45,286 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
"My question is how long will my AP's be in a unstable state as not all 400 will get upgraded at one time .."

If the controller has default AP maintenance settings they will upgrade at once.... if you don't use fast failover.
It also depends on the upgrade path, if you upgrade from a very old image you are not able to disable upgrade of the AP image.

So how long does it take..... the main thing that affect the AP upgrade time is the link between the AP & controller, if you 've a fast LAN it should be in <15minutes in my experience(for 400 APs),
if the APs are connected via WAN it depends on the WAN speed/bandwidth available.
Photo of Rod Robertson

Rod Robertson

I have never upgraded a system before .. well years ago previous incarnation of this product ( Siemens ). I plan to upgrade the v5120 units to 9.21.10.005,  current version 9.21.01.0179

Are there any obvious "gotya's" ? do i need new licences etc..
Thanks for your help 
Photo of Chris Sherman

Chris Sherman

No gotchas with licensing for a minor version upgrade.  Only other thing I can think of is that upgrading the box itself takes just long enough(on my 4110s) that you start getting nervous so hang in there.  7-8 minutes maybe?  Sounds like you have 2 boxes in high availability so you won't have any downtime due to the actual controller upgrade.  Fiercely comb the release notes. I call GTAC once-in-a-while for something I see in there.
Photo of Ronald Dvorak

Ronald Dvorak, Embassador

• 45,286 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Remember that if FastFailover is enabled that the APs don't upgrade if they switch to the standby controller - you'd need to either do a controlled upgrade or just reboot the APs via GUI so they reconnect and check for the new AP image.
(Edited)
Photo of Rod Robertson

Rod Robertson

Gents many thanks for your help , the upgrades went well , we have a few AP's that the onsite guys upgraded manually , the only challange we had was that there was a specific file , smRouting.php which needed to be reinstalled to access cloud based features .