Did you mean:Ā 

BD8k failover

BD8k failover

Alexandr_P
Valued Contributor
Hello, all!

Theoretical question:
BD8k with 2*MSM-48c with S-G8Xc cards.

What happend with data-ports on S-G8Xc cards when failover occurs?

Have an conflicting information:
1. When a modular chassis MSM/MM failover occurs, all of the ports in the chassis are under the control of separate processors which can communicate with the backup MSM/MM, so all ports continue to function.
Source - 16.1 User Guide
2. When you do a failover the current master slot will reboot causing all ports on that master slot to go down until the slot comes back.

Where is the truth? ļ™‚

Thank you!
5 REPLIES 5

Patrick_Voss
Extreme Employee
Hello Alexandr,

I may be wrong but the way #2 is worded it sounds like it is referencing a Summit stack. Especially since it is using Master slot as the terminology instead of MSM or Management Module. If it is indeed a stack then it would be true for a Stack only because the individual Node reboots.

Also, as Ron stated if there is a daughter card installed in one of the MSMs it could be referring to this as well because a reboot of that MSM will cause the daughter ports to go down temporarily.

Could you tell me what Page #2 came from out of the user guide?

Alexandr,

Yeah I think it is referring to a stack, even though it is not completely clear. I will see if I can update this article to make it more clear. Sorry for the confusion!

Hello, Patrick!

It's from here
https://gtacknowledge.extremenetworks.com/articles/Solution/Failover-Current-Backup-to-become-Master

Information is as for SummitStack so for BD.

Thank you!

Ron_Huygens
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager
The statement 2 is definitely true. The complete MSM will reboot and that will also reload the S-G8Xc ports.
The statement 1 is true for all other ports on the I/O modules

GTM-P2G8KFN