blinking MGMT led in summit X250e-24p

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
I have a Summit X250e-24P. The switch. I cannot get the parameters of the switch because, when I power on my switch, The fan led and the PSU-I led are green and steady but the MGMT led is always blinking fast. I want to know how I can solve the problem. Thanks;
Photo of gu ombede

gu ombede

• 110 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Ronald Dvorak

Ronald Dvorak, Embassador

• 45,316 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Photo of gu ombede

gu ombede

No, I haven't any output on the console Port. 
all my led port of the switch are off.
Photo of Robert Styma

Robert Styma

I had a number of X450's that behaved in this way.  Blinking mgmt. light (sometimes) and nothing on the console.  I got them from another part of the organization.  Opening them up, I discovered that on the daughter board which is home to the compact flash card there were a number of blown 1000 uf electrolytic capacitors.  You can tell they are blown when the top of the capacitor is bulged up.  I replaced the capacitors and the switches started working.  This is in a lab rather than in production.
Photo of Henrique

Henrique, Employee

• 10,302 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Hi, this might be related to the capacitor "Electrolytic Capacitor 1000 UF 6.3 V" as already mentioned by Robert.

However, to confirm that you have to connect a console cable and boot the unit. You should see some error codes and messages.

I would recommend you to open a GTAC case for further investigation and RMA the unit if possible.
Photo of gu ombede

gu ombede

Hi, thanks for your help,
I connect a console cable (serial RS232), there is any communication with the switch. I will try to change the 6 capacitors (1000μF-6,3V) on the daughter board and see the behavior of the unit.
I think that if the POST is not passed, you cannot get communication with any console..
Photo of gu ombede

gu ombede

Hi,
I try it but I have not a message. I have just this character on the screen "|"

I don't Know what is a GTAC case and RMA

Thanks 
Photo of Drew C.

Drew C., Community Manager

• 37,388 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Replacing the capacitors on your own WILL void any warranty you may have on this switch.

Take a look at these two articles for more information on how to contact GTAC and/or begin an RMA.
Photo of Robert Styma

Robert Styma

I agree that if you have a warranty or a service contract and are using the switches in production, fixing them yourself is a bad idea.  If you have none of those things and the alternative is throwing the switch in the trash, it is worth looking into. 
Photo of gu ombede

gu ombede

My unit is too old and not use in production. I will try myself and my alternative is throwing it in the trash.

Photo of Robert Styma

Robert Styma

Several site, such as http://www.instructables.com/id/Repair-your-electronics-by-replacing-blown-capacit/ have pictures of blown capacitors.  The top is bulged up or sometimes even split.  You can get capacitors cheap on Amazon.  The place I use sells 10 caps of almost any value for $4.95 with $4.95 shipping.  If you buy 2 or three packs of 10, the shipping stays at $4.95 which makes it less of a burden.  Good luck.