cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

C5210 HA pair , AP's disassociate from one controller and randomly reattach to the backup wireless controller

C5210 HA pair , AP's disassociate from one controller and randomly reattach to the backup wireless controller

Rod_Robertson2
Contributor
C5210 We have recently upgraded to 09.21.11.0004 code which we hoped would resolve this issue.

This system has nearly 1000 AP spread across the two controllers.
We are seeing AP's swap from their primary controller to the back up . this is totally random and unpredictable ( so ,so far no packet capture to sniff ) ( 180/500 swap)

We have been advise so far to increase the poll timers, for the AP's. ( WASSP/CAPWAP ) AP >Global Settings> AP Registration > discovery timers

There does not seem to be any underling networking issues ,as we have no other reported issues or concerns.

Is there a known issue ?
Has anybody else seen this issue and how was it resolved.
Can I priorities the WASSP traffic through the network ( DSCP? )

Regards
17 REPLIES 17

Joshua_Puusep
New Contributor III
After one of our minor controller upgrades on 10.x, we were seeing about 10% of our AP's continuously move between controllers. I worked with GTAC and the only fix we could come up with was to factory reset each AP, by using the 'cset factory' command via ssh. I monitored the failover events using tunnel activation messages from syslog and reset each AP that generated an alarm over the course of a week, after which there were no further failovers. I did not get an explanation as to why this behavior occurs. We are upgrading our controllers again later this week and I will post if the issue recurs.

We rolled out 10.11.04.0008 this morning and the AP's have remained stable so far.

Thanks for the update. I'm curious to see if it starts happening again.

Scott_Whall
Extreme Employee
@Rich - If your Wireless network was running on 9.21.07 for a long time, then recently Access Points started moving, was there some other change in the network that could have altered the traffic dynamics?

@Rod - We are actively working on all reported cases of APs timing out or moving between their respective controllers. If you haven't already looked in the Knowledgebase for Poll Timeout articles, you can try this article:

https://gtacknowledge.extremenetworks.com/articles/Solution/IdentiFi-Access-Points-reboot-due-to-Pol...

However, as you noted above, if there are no outstanding problems in the network, and it is a random AP move, then getting a good packet capture from either the AP ethernet port, or the controller port where the AP's register, could be difficult, but it is a necessary piece to help us understand why the APs are moving.

There are no differences in the timers between version 9 and version 10 firmware.

WASSP packets are already sent with a high priority.

GTM-P2G8KFN