cancel
Showing results forĀ 
Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Cannot ping google from switch.

Cannot ping google from switch.

nola_saint
New Contributor
I'm new to networking and new to extreme switches. I just setup x440g2 switch and can ping everything on my network but I cannot ping google. What am I missing.
6 REPLIES 6

nola_saint
New Contributor
Any ideas from anyone. Has anyone else experience this problem.

nola_saint
New Contributor
I'm thinking its the way I configured the switch. All the other switches seem to be able to ping google. So what am I missing? I have all the switches configured the same way.

nola_saint
New Contributor
I'm thinking my routing and gateway is ok. I say this because anything device attached to it like a PC or IP phone is working correctly.

DNS setting, are you referring to a DNS setting on the switch or servers for the network. I did not see and switch commands for configuring DNS I will have to go back and check.

For DNS are you saying that I will have to use the command below and enter the name of the DNS server

configure dns-client add name-server

Firewall, I will have to check and see if there is setting on the firewall for switches.

Hunt_Liao
New Contributor
I think you need check some setting in your network :
1. Routing and gateway in your network.
you setting gateway on your switch , you also need check session reply can back to you .
2. DNS setting is correct before you ping FQDN
you need setting name server,and you can get ip-address when you ask FQDN to DNS on your switch before PING FQDN.
3.checking outgoing policy can let your switch ping out .
It's mean you need make sure your company 's out going policy can let your switch's ip-address can pass through with your firewall, IPS....etc.
GTM-P2G8KFN