cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Captive Portal no longer popping up on end devices

Captive Portal no longer popping up on end devices

Matthew_Perry
New Contributor III
Android and iOS in the past would pop up the captive portal page for the NAC when they connected to the wireless. Since upgrading our controllers to 10.11.04.0008 our users are no longer being prompted without opening their browser manually. We have Client Autologin set to "Redirect detection messages". Is there another setting for this?
7 REPLIES 7

Aires_Sysadmins
New Contributor II
Hello All,
I know this thread is old, but I believe what you are looking for is in the VNS global settings of the controller. Client Autologin, check the "Redirect detection...." bullet and you should be good to go.

Matthew_Perry
New Contributor III
I just added those to the nac allow list. I don't think they should be able to get there anyways because of the policy but we shall see.

Ryan_Yacobucci
Extreme Employee
Hello,

The settings for Client Autologin only work if you're using the redirection method that Mr. Dvorak has shown.

Client Autologin options do not work unless you're using the "External" method for redirection. If you're using DNS proxy, PBR, or another reauthentication type you'll need to check the NAC allowed domains settings to make sure NAC is not allowing communication out.

87fe4e46235c41f8be1a2c0740c2c1c6_RackMultipart20161218-100447-min1ks-allowedomains_inline.png

Make sure that !captive.apple.com and !gstatic.com are both in this list if you have PBR. They will tell NAC these are not allowed domains and the traffic will be dropped.

iOS will attempt to reach out to at least captive.apple,com, and android will try gstatic.com/generate_204. If they can't reach these sites they detect they are in a captive portal and will prompt the user.

Thanks
-Ryan

Rajesh_Jeevendr
Extreme Employee
Hi mperry

Besides I read it was working in the old code version.

For ANDROID
On couple of android device try the below and share your findings

1. Settings
2. WiFi (click on word "WiFi", not ON/OFF switch)
3. Press and hold preferred (or active) wireless network until dialog pops up
4. Select "Modify Network"
5. Check "Show advanced options" checkbox at the bottom
6. Switch "IP settings" to "Static"
7. Keep IP address, Gateway and Network prefix length the same (should be set from standard DHCP)
8. Set DNS 1 8.8.8.8 and DNS 2 8.8.4.4. [google DNS servers]
9. "Save"
10. Restart your phone (power cycle).

Regards
Rajesh
GTM-P2G8KFN