cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing serial # on AP configuration

Changing serial # on AP configuration

Don1
New Contributor
Is it possible to change just the serial number for WS-AP3865E series AP throught the NAC GUI and keep the existing configuration?
5 REPLIES 5

Ronald_Dvorak
Honored Contributor
That is not possible.

I don't know details of your installation but in case all APs are providing the same SSID just set the AP default config template and the only thing you need to do is to delete the old one from the database and set the name via the controller GUI on the new one.
So you are done in less then a minute.

At least that is what 90% of my customers are doing in such case.

-Ron

Don1
New Contributor
Scenario: AP1 is bad and I want to add a new AP to replace. Is it possible through NAC CLI to change just the serial number of AP1 to the new AP and have that AP use the config based on being assigned a new serial number. (i.e. AP1 s/n 1420xxxxxxx replaced with new AP 1357xxxxx via cli ap command within NAC manager or Netsight GUI)

From NAC manager you can not configure AP.
From NAC-GW (IAM-GW) you can ssh to the controller and configure the AP there.
I believe you can use Wireless manager (from NetSight console) to configure new AP.

EWC can send to the NAC AccessPoint name and SSID. if your NAC rules are working with AP name and/or SSID then you do not need reconfigure NAC, you do not need reconfigure serial number, you just configure new AP with the same name as the old one.
Regards Zdeněk Pala

Zdeněk_Pala
Extreme Employee
I am sory but I do not understand the request... The NAC does not have anything connected to the AP serial number. If you want copy the config from one AP to another, you can use following procedure: Backup your controller config Extract the backup In the config (cli) file find your AP config Ssh to the controller and configure the new AP with commands you take from the backup. If it is not your goal, please redefine your question.
Regards Zdeněk Pala
GTM-P2G8KFN