cancel
Showing results forĀ 
Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Cisco 2602i compatibility issue ?

Cisco 2602i compatibility issue ?

Adrian_Harris
New Contributor
We're installing a Cisco 2602I based wireless solution onto a B5 three switch stack and some of the switch ports are refusing to come up when an access point is plugged into them. Checking the inlinepower status shows that the switch is providing ~4W of power but that the link is down. Moving the access points to other ports on the switch can allow them to come up, but this can take between 5 and 30 seconds before the link lights come up.

The cabling and patch leads (Systemax) have been checked with a Fluke meter and passed as OK.

All ports are configured identically.

On switch 1, port GE.1.41 refused to come up, but 1.42 to 1.44 all have identical access points attached and are all up and running at 1Gb.

I'm not too familiar with the Enterasys range, so would be interested to know what sort od debugging commands could be used to detect why the switch is behaving in this manner.

Adrian.
2 REPLIES 2

Adrian_Harris
New Contributor
It turns out the data cabling provider wasn't being honest about their Fluke testing. When asked to recheck the affected ports, all turned out to have broken data pairs.

Once re-terminated, all the APs came up.

I forgot to check the power settings at the end of the commissioning but, at the time I was trouble shooting this, the working APs certainly seemed to only be reporting 4W.

rbrt
Contributor
4W seems to be way too insufficient for powering up a 2600 series AP anyway, that should be somewhere around the 12W to 15W range.

Now, I know from the predecessing 1240 series APs that they were quite finicky when it came to PoE. Do you have long cable lenghts in your building? The longer the cable, the more power is lost on the way from switch to AP. Maybe the APs just do not get enough power, and therefore cannot boot.

(I had this problem - too long cabling - with a 1240. It booted, but did not have enough power to start the radio interface...)
GTM-P2G8KFN