Showing results forĀ 
Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Combination ports on Extreme X480-48t

Combination ports on Extreme X480-48t

Miguel
New Contributor
Hello experts,

I am working now on a project that involves a switch extreme X480-48t, my question is about combination ports, this switch have 4 combination ports, i need to use the optical ports as a regular port, I mean, I need to add the port to a virtual router working with VRRP, it is possible?.

Thanks in advance for your help!.

5 REPLIES 5

dflouret
Extreme Employee
Miguel, some additional information from the EXOS Configuration Guide, in case you want to configure redundancy...

Summit Family Switches with Shared Copper/Fiber Gigabit Ports Only

On Summit family switches with shared copper/fiber gigabit ports, you configure automatic failover using the combination ports. These ports are called combination ports because either the fiber port or the copper port is active, but they are never active concurrently. These ports, also called redundant ports, are shared PHY copper and fiber ports.

If you plan to use the automatic failover feature, ensure that port settings are set correctly for autonegotiation.

Note
You may experience a brief episode of the link going down and recovering during the failover.

ā€¢ To display the port type currently used as well as the preferred media setting, use the following
command:
show port {mgmt | port_list | tag tag} information {detail}

Refer to Displaying Port Information on page 314 for more information on the show ports
information command.

Hardware determines when a link is lost and swaps the primary and redundant ports to maintain
stability.

After a failover occurs, the switch keeps or sticks with the current port assignment until there is
another failure or until a user changes the assignment using the CLI.

ā€¢ To change the uplink failover assignment, use the following command:
configure ports port_list preferred-medium [copper | fiber] {force}

The default preferred-medium is fiber. If using the force option, it disables automatic failover. If
you force the preferred-medium to fiber and the fiber link goes away, the copper link is not used,
even if available.

Miguel
New Contributor
Hi Paul, is cristal clear now, thanks!!!

Paul_Russo
Extreme Employee
Hey Miguel

the combo ports share a phy so the cooper port and fiber port with the same port number cant be used at the same time. you can use either the cooper or fiber port. If a switch has 4 combo ports where 4 of them are cooper and 4 of them are fiber you can use any 4 of the 8 in any combination.

You don't disable the port the switch will sense which port you are using and make the other one not useable.

Does that help?

P

Paul_Russo
Extreme Employee
Hello Miguel

Yes thos ports work just like any other port. The only time you can not use them is if you are using the cooper port that is tied to it.

Let me know if you have any other questions

P
GTM-P2G8KFN