Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

computer gets IP address but no network connectivity

computer gets IP address but no network connectivity

Chris_Carroll
New Contributor
Hi,

I am having an issue where new computers obtain the correct IP information on our wired network. IP address, mask, Gateway, DNS, etc. The problem is that I cannot ping the gateway. Only other devices that are on the same subnet.

I have been able to work around it but that is not consistent. On the problem devices I have cleared the arp table, purged and reload the remote cache table, flushed dns, and removed the ethernet adapter via the device manager then re-added it. Sometimes these methods work and other times they do not

We have a back up Comcast network and the computers work normally when connected there. Even prior to using the methods listed above. So my thought is that there is some sort of incompatibility between the computers and our Extreme switches.

The computers are Dell Latitude 5480 and 5580s and some Mac devices.
We use Extreme X460-G2 switches running firmware version 22.2.1.5.

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

15 REPLIES 15

Chris_Carroll
New Contributor
I would like to thank everyone who offered their advice on this issue.

I ended up contacting GTAC to help resolve this issue. We have been implementing the Extreme NAC system and enabling authentication at the edge which is working great. Previously, we were doing authentication at the core. We had to disable mac authentication on the ports at the core to allow these new devices onto the network.

Thanks again everyone I really appreciate your help!

Chris

Chris_Carroll
New Contributor
I discovered that this issue also happens when connected to a different X460 and a different VLAN.

I am planning on upgrading. Currently we are on 22.1 and 22.2 which seems to be causing some stack syncing problems.

We've seen the LAG weirdness with VLANs, but once it works, we have not had to re-tag/un-tag the VLANs again.

I seem to recall that FW 22 had some issues... Are you able to upgrade to 22.3.1.4-patch1-4? We've had pretty good results with that version.

GTM-P2G8KFN