cancel
Showing results forĀ 
Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

conf vrrp vlan VLAN-Name add backup vrid

Harkanwaljeet_S
New Contributor
Surprisingly I could not find any explanation anywhere in Extreme documentation about the below configuration line;

--------------------
I know the backup keyword is being used to define vrrp when we have two physical or VLAN IP addresses (one on each switch) and different VIP. or in other words when we are not using the VLAN IP on one of the switches as VIP (means no vrrp priority 255). Priority 255 is the default for vrrp configuration with keyword master.

--------------------

I need advice if the below configuraration has any problem or what exactly the purpose of keyword backup here if my above explanation is not true?

My switches configuration: Both switches have unique IP addresses for VLAN1 from the same IP subnet.

Switch-1

configure vrrp vlan "VLAN1" add backup vrid 1 10.136.225.177
configure vrrp vlan "VLAN1" vrid 1 advertisement-interval 1
configure vrrp vlan "VLAN1" vrid 1 priority 100
configure vrrp vlan "VLAN1" vrid 1 preempt
configure vrrp add vlan "VLAN1"
enable vrrp

Switch-2

configure vrrp vlan "VLAN1" add backup vrid 1 10.136.225.177
configure vrrp vlan "VLAN1" vrid 1 advertisement-interval 1
configure vrrp vlan "VLAN1" vrid 1 priority 60
configure vrrp vlan "VLAN1" vrid 1 dont-preempt
configure vrrp add vlan "VLAN1"
enable vrrp

--------------------------------------------------------

What is the difference between the above and below config.

configure vrrp vlan "VLAN1" vrid 1 priority 100
configure vrrp vlan "VLAN1" vrid 1 add 10.136.225.177
enable vrrp

We have 50-60 pairs of switches where similar configuration (as above Switch-1 &2) is running fine since many years and only one pair is giving problems where vrrp is master-master on both switches. Our support team is rejecting the above configuration stating that there is no definition of keyword backup in extreme manuals so they will not work on it for resolution.

Thanks

Harkanwaljeet Singh

5 REPLIES 5

Henrique
Extreme Employee
When you configure VRRP for ExtremeWare you have to choose between master and backup roles.

If you choose master role then the priority will be 255 and that instance will be always preferred regardless of priority or preempt configuration.

However, if you want break this rule, you can choose both VRRP devices as backup role and the priority + preempt configuration will be considered to make the instance active.

Thanks for your comments Henrique and Drew.

Drew_C
Valued Contributor III
I'd strongly recommend against using priority 255 because it requires that the IP address of the VRRP master be "owned" by the VLAN.
You lose the ability to have a truly "virtual" IP address when doing this.

Kevin_Kim
Extreme Employee
I remember old 'ExtremeWare' supported 'master' and 'backup' keywords in VRRP configuration.
If your switch runs ExtremeWare, you can visit the below link and find 'ExtremeWare' user guides / command references. ExtremeWare is currently end of support. The current 'ExtremeXOS' doesn't have 'master' and 'backup' keywords.

http://www.extremenetworks.com/support/documentation-archives/
GTM-P2G8KFN