Configure fiber optic module port on X450

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
i have an x450 with 24 eternet port +04 Fiber optical ports.
I added a new Optical F module and i don't know i had to make free the correspondant port on ethernet ?
All ethernet ports are used.
how can i configure the new trunk optical ports ?
Photo of Fiffo Liffo

Fiffo Liffo

• 110 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Bill Stritzinger

Bill Stritzinger, Alum

• 6,016 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
The X450 has your copper port plus 4 shared optical ports.  You can only use one or the other of the ports at the same time.  If you look at the front of the switch there is a yellowish line over the optical ports as well as the corresponding copper ports, if you have the copper ports occupied you cannot use the fiber and vice versa.
Photo of Fiffo Liffo

Fiffo Liffo

ok, so if i unplug for example 24 ethernet port number (wich is already configured with 30 tagged vlans) and plug the correspondant optical port number 24, i can use all the vlans on optical port without any config .?
Photo of Bill Stritzinger

Bill Stritzinger, Alum

• 6,016 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Yes that is correct... the port configuration is for either the copper or optic port #...
Photo of Fiffo Liffo

Fiffo Liffo

good
the trunk port for that switch will be 1:24 (actual copper port) or 1:25 ?  (because i found that there is 1:25 and 1:26 which are not hardly marked on ports).
Photo of Drew C.

Drew C., Community Manager

• 37,336 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Is it an X450a or X450e?
Ports 25 and 26 are on the back of that switch, and will only be available if there's an XGM module installed.
You can see the front ports and the green/yellow line up close in this image:
http://assets.extremenetworks.com/sites/default/files/null/Summit_x450a_24T_0006.jpg
(Edited)
Photo of Fiffo Liffo

Fiffo Liffo

i have only "X450"  and yes i have an XGM module. Now i have plugged an sfp module.
Photo of Fiffo Liffo

Fiffo Liffo

thank you for all