cancel
Showing results forĀ 
Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Configure remote wlan services

Configure remote wlan services

GONƇALO_NUNO_CO
New Contributor III
Hello, in my company I have 4 controllers in pairs of two in same mobility domain. One pair is the c5210 and will be upgraded to v.10 the other pair is the c5110 and will stay with v.9.0 On the c5210 pair I have 3610 and 3620 access point which are not compatible with v.10, so I will pass them to the c5110 pair. My objective is to have the same ssid across the controllers . How can I achieve this in a routed topology?
4 REPLIES 4

GONƇALO_NUNO_CO
New Contributor III
Hi, The install is in different buildings that can be up to 2km apart from the Controler. At the moment we only have two 5210 controllers for all the access points, but since we are upgrading the C5210 to v.10 we need to add 2 controllers more (5110) for the Aps that are not compatible with v.10.

The SSIDs that we want to propagate across the 4 controlers are routed and grouped. I am wondering if somehow i could configure these SSIDs on the 5110 controlers as remote Wlan services so that the 5110 use he 5210 as gateways for these SSIDs.

I would like to achieve this with the minimum configuration as posible since this is a temp setup and in this way i dont need to configure any routes on my FW.

Ronald_Dvorak
Honored Contributor
If topology type routed is used that means one subnet per controller WLAN service.

In every subnet you've a default gateway (=controller) and you'd need to have IP routes in the LAN Core/FW so they could route the packets to the correct destination.

There is no need for the remote function in the WLAN service.

But could you explain a bit more about the installation, is this one big building or are the APs in different towns.
Just to make sure that this is a valid network design.

GONƇALO_NUNO_CO
New Contributor III
Great, does that mean that I have to configure a diferent subnet for each controller? I will need a diferent gateway for each ssid? And so I need to have routes on my firewall for each ssid. what about the wlan service, do I have to configure it as remote?

Ronald_Dvorak
Honored Contributor
Just configure the same SSID on the 4 controller and that is it.

You've already mobility enabled and that will allow the client to keep the same IP even the MU roams between APs of different controller (toplogy routed).

But try to keep "old" APs in one area#1 and the APs that support v10 in area#2 to minimize roaming between the v9/10 controller pair.

GTM-P2G8KFN