Switch 1 master (x670)
Switch 2 standby (x460g1)
Switch 3 standby (x460g1)
Switch 4 standby (x460g1)
Switch 5 standby (x460g1)
Switch 6 standby (x460g1)
Switch 7 standby (x460g1)
Switch 8 standby (x460g1)
They are in a ring configuration, slots 1 and slot 8 both have core licenses.

I wanted to set the stack to have a backup node.

So I issued the command, configure stacking node address (appropriate slot's mac) master-capability OFF for slots 2 thru 7

I issued configure stacking node address master-capability ON for slot 8

I then issued the command configure stacking redundancy minimal
Thinking that master-capability on 2 nodes (slot 1 and slot 8 in my case) would be the logical choice.

I scheduled a reboot for after hours and found the stack to be this way: the stack came up but slot 2 had license mismatch and didn't have a role. Perplexing.
I had to again issue the command conf stacking node address (slot 2) master-capability OFF and reboot that node individually to get it to come back up.

Stack is now this way: As you can see slot 8 is not a backup.

Switch 1 master
Switch 2 standby
Switch 3 standby
Switch 4 standby
Switch 5 standby
Switch 6 standby
Switch 7 standby
Switch 8 standby

1) should I try configure stacking redundancy maximal (instead of minimal that I tried)?

2) Can it be slot 1 and slot 8 for a master and backup situation? I know typically it would likely be slot 1 and 2 but that's not where our core license is. We are using slot 1 and slot 8.

Thank you,
Sarah

2 REPLIES 2

Necheporenko__N
Extreme Employee
Hello Sarah,

I think that all steps before were correct, then you need to check configuration with command - Flags "(C) master-Capable in use, (c) master-capable is configured" and do reboot slot 8.

If you are using the none or minimal redundancy configuration:
  • The configured values of slot-number and priority decide the nodes on which the master-capability should be turned on.
  • If the priority values are configured on the nodes, the highest priority node(s) are chosen.
  • If the priority values of all nodes are set to automatic or to the same priority value, the node(s) with the lowest slot number(s) are chosen. Extreme Networks may change automatic priority behavior in a future release.
Best Regards,
Nikolay

Thank you for the info, I'll give it a try!
GTM-P2G8KFN