Console Connection to an x440-8?

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
Excuse my ignorance, but I am having my first experience with an x440-8.  Can I ask how do you console to the device?  I need to complete the initial configuration of the device and can't seem to figure out how to connect to it.

Thanks,
Stan
Photo of Stanley Riley Jr.

Stanley Riley Jr.

• 950 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
  • confused

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Roger Green

Roger Green

• 200 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
use an rs-232 (serial cable) into the console port. Use a term emu program such as secureCRT or hyperterminal. set up com port settings 8,1, no flow control.
Photo of Drew C.

Drew C., Community Manager

• 40,240 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hi Stanley,
Does this article help: How to console into Extreme and Enterasys switches
Do you have a serial port or a serial to USB adapter?

Depending on the version that shipped with the switch, it may have Zero-Touch Provisioning enabled, which will automatically assign an IP address from DHCP to the mgmt port or to one of the other front-panel ports.  That IP address will be displayed, one number at a time, in the stacking LED window.  If DHCP isn't available, it will display its link-local address.
(Edited)

Stanley Riley Jr.

Not to sound silly, but there is no serial console port on the switch, only an ethernet port.
Photo of Drew C.

• 40,238 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
No problem, Stanley.  Take a closer look  :)
http://documentation.extremenetworks.com/summit_16/Summit_Family_HW_Install/Switch_ovrvu/c_summit-x4...

The Serial console port is implemented as an RJ-45 connector.  The switch should have came with a purple cable and a purple adapter to use for this.
Photo of Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams, Employee

• 9,040 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
It looks like a ethernet port right under the management port on the left side of the switch.
Photo of Henrique

Henrique, Employee

• 10,342 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Just sharing the cable picture so everyone can have it with details. :-)

Stanley Riley Jr.

OK, just to note, I'm trying to work on this remotely.  I do have remote hands helping me get it setup, and he was able to find the RJ-45 adapter. 

What do I do if the stacking LED is blank?  It's not showing any IP or link-local address.  :(
Photo of Drew C.

• 40,238 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
It most likely means it didn't ship with a version that included this feature.  Not a problem.

Stanley Riley Jr.

So then is there a default IP address or something?

Stanley Riley Jr.

oooo, I got it!  It was on COM5.

Thanks everyone for your help!!!
Photo of Darren Saliva

Darren Saliva

• 662 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
i found that using any RJ45 to serial console cable that isn't the one that comes with the x440 switches does not work.