cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create Netsight alarm for LAG that goes partially down

Create Netsight alarm for LAG that goes partially down

Geoffrey_Ivins
New Contributor
Hello, we are trying to create an alarm for our LAGs between Summit switches. We recently had a switch that had one-half of a LAG go down, and obviously connectivity stayed up. However, we were not alerted since we did not create a trap for port up/down on the Uplink LAG ports, as that would trigger an email every time a device rebooted.

How can we set an alarm with Netsight on LAG ports to alert us when part of the LAG goes down? We are on one of the latest Netsight versions, using Summit X460s, and most of the LAGs are using the Fiber ports. Thanks!
3 REPLIES 3

EtherMAN
Contributor III
If you are using Netsite you can go in and customize and enable an alarm for LACP lag groups port being removed and port being added... You will need to step through the Alarm configuration section in Netsite and this would be a " Selected Trap"... You can even control the group or switches this is enabled for... If you made a group with all your lag group switch in it then it would only apply to them ,,, Lots of flexibility to customize alarms to draw attention to critical systems or links and ignore those that are not so important.

Using the port trap enable or disable on individual switches is one option but we prefer to leave all port traps enabled and only kill them if the port is flapping... we add addition custom traps for trunk and critical customer handoff ports so our NOC can quickly know how to respond to port up-down traps..

Christopher_Tay
Contributor
When I raised this question it was suggested to me to create port groups in NetSight, one for primary and one for back-up, then assign port-up-down traps to each port group.

Kawawa
Extreme Employee
You can enable port-up-down traps for selected ports. I was trying to imagine how a LAG would be reported has half down without a port-down trap being sent and all I can think of would be a script (UPM=Port X removed from aggregator => trigger UPM script that creates a specific SNMP trap => which if received by the trap-receiver triggers an alert) But it sounds a lot like a long cut to simply enabling port-up-down traps on only your uplinks and using that to create the desired alert.
GTM-P2G8KFN