Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Details about Logging Severity levels

Details about Logging Severity levels

Pedro_Lezan
New Contributor
Hi All,

Could send me infs about Severity Levels and logging?I want to know what kind of logging messages was send in each severity level, from 1 to 8.
I know that 1(Emergencies), 2(alerts), 3(critical), 4(errors), 5(warnings), 6(notifications), 7(informational) and 8(debugging)...
- 8(debugging) send all kind of detailed information... but what about 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 ?
Could you help me w that?
Thanks in advance.
7 REPLIES 7

Pedro_Lezan
New Contributor
Thanks guys! 😉
Best regards

Chad_Smith1
Extreme Employee
Pedro,

In EXOS you might want to take a look at the "show log counters" command. This command will show you all possible log messages, their severity (Severity), how many times they have occurred (Occurred), whether they are included in the log filter (I), and how many times they have been printed to the log (Ntfd). You can also specifically only show log messages of a certain severity:

L3L_K1_U13(65.51).12 # show log counters all severity critical Component SubComponent Condition Severity Occurred I Ntfd ----------- ------------ ----------------------- ------------- -------- - ---- ACL CLEARFlow Critical Critical 0 Y 0 BGP InitFailRsrcNotStrt Critical 0 Y 0 BGP InterThreadMsgCritical Critical 0 Y 0 BGP RtMgr InitFailObjNotCreat Critical 0 Y 0 BOOTP Client AutoPrvsnOpenFileFail Critical 0 Y 0 BOOTP Client AutoPrvsnReadNVRAMFail Critical 0 Y 0 BOOTP Client AutoPrvsnWritNVRAMFail Critical 0 Y 0 ...You could filter on a specific subcomponent (VRRP in this example) and severity (error):

L3L_K1_U13(65.51).14 # show log counters VRRP severity error Component SubComponent Condition Severity Occurred I Ntfd
----------- ------------ ----------------------- ------------- -------- - ----
VRRP CfgInv Error 0 Y 0
VRRP InvVRState Critical 0 Y 0
VRRP SanityFail Critical 0 Y 0
VRRP System AllocMemFail Error 0 Y 0
VRRP System CallbackFail Error 0 Y 0
VRRP System SubSysInitFail Critical 0 Y 0
VRRP System SyscallFail Critical 0 Y 0
VRRP System VLANDBInv Error 0 Y 0
VRRP System VlanInstNotFound Error 0 Y 0
VRRP System VlanNameNotFound Error 0 Y 0
Occurred : # of times this event has occurred since last clear or reboot
Flags : (*) Not all applications responded in time with their counters
I(ncluded): Set to Y(es) if one or more targets filter includes this event
Notified : # of times this event has occurred when 'Included' was Y(es) Note that the severity filter will also include all messages that are of a higher severity than the severity level specified. To see only severity level error you could use an include statement:

L3L_K1_U13(65.51).23 # show log counters VRRP severity error | include Error VRRP CfgInv Error 0 Y 0
VRRP System AllocMemFail Error 0 Y 0
VRRP System CallbackFail Error 0 Y 0
VRRP System VLANDBInv Error 0 Y 0
VRRP System VlanInstNotFound Error 0 Y 0
VRRP System VlanNameNotFound Error 0 Y 0
You have many other filtering options on this command. The notified and occurred filters are also particularly useful:

L3L_K1_U13(65.51).13 # show log counters all Execute the command
included Show only events with included set to yes
notified Show only events with notified count higher than zero(0)
occurred Show only events with occurred count higher than zero(0)
severity Display event for a specified severity | Filter the output of the command

Paul_Poyant
New Contributor III
On the legacy Enterasys (EOS) side of the house, this Hub article includes an example message for each logging level:
KB 14635 (http://bit.ly/1iTJpYd), "S/N/K-Series Decode of Syslog Numeric Prepend".

Alexandr_P
Valued Contributor
Hi, all!

Also this information you can find in "EXOS_Command_Refence" document, which (also with "EXOS_User_Guide") have to be in all people who work with EXOS.

Thank you!
GTM-P2G8KFN