Showing results forĀ 
Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

dhcp snooping

dhcp snooping

Alexandr_P
Valued Contributor
Hello!

When configure L2 dhcp relay (dhcp snooping+trusted server), do I need also #enable bootprelay?

Thank you!
5 REPLIES 5

Matthew_Hum1
Extreme Employee
Sorry, I misread the question and assumed you were trying to enable NAC's DHCP snooping functionality. Switch DHCP snooping and ARP inspection should not require bootprelay as the DHCP forwarder can be at a higher level (the default gateway). So all you should need to configure is dhcp-snooping.

Alexandr_P
Valued Contributor
EXOS_User_Guide say:
"This section discusses DHCP/BOOTP relay operation at Layer 3.
For information on DHCP/BOOTP relay operation at Layer 2, see DHCP Snooping and Trusted DHCP Server."
Testing is show this Clients VLAN with Ip working normally, without - BOOTPREKAY don't work.

So main question is:
Is we have Clients VLANs without IPs and uplink VLAN to router with IP, do I have to configure dhcp-snooping with bootprelay enabled or only enable dhcp-snooping?

Thank you!

Matthew_Hum1
Extreme Employee
Bootprelay will not work on the extreme switch if there are no IPs on the VLANs. you should enable the bootprelay or ip-helper address on the same device that hosts the default gateway for your clients. I you try enabling bootprelay on another switch that does not have an ip interface on that vlan, the switch will not know where to forward the dhcp request from.

Justin_Schmidt
New Contributor
Yes I believe you need "enable bootprelay"
GTM-P2G8KFN