cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disable SNMP port-up-down for all access ports but not interswitch ports

Disable SNMP port-up-down for all access ports but not interswitch ports

Justin_Noland1
New Contributor II
For a while now my log files (and email) have been getting spammed with "Agent Interface Down on interface xxxx Port" alerts. These are just access ports and they are going up or down because a user turns off their computer or undocks their laptop or any number of things that I don't care about.

Now, I can disable them with "disable snmp port-up-down ports " but this requires me to manually identify the ports I do care about, which would be interswitch connections and access point connections.

Surely, I'm not the only person who wants to be alerted when uplinks go down but doesn't care about access ports. Is there a better way to do this other than manually identifying the uplinks? I've got 250+ switches/stacks and 12,000+ ports that I'd like to sort through (some have already been done manually). EDP/CDP can detect neighboring devices and I'm wondering if there is some way to leverage that to my advantage here?

Thanks for any guidance!
1 REPLY 1

Ty_Izzet
Extreme Employee
Justin, is EMC being used with EXOS? If so, you could create different port groups and enable alarm based on the traps received for port up down.

How to create port groups in Netsight
https://gtacknowledge.extremenetworks.com/articles/How_To/How-to-create-and-add-ports-to-a-port-grou...

How to create alarms based on port trap
https://gtacknowledge.extremenetworks.com/articles/How_To/How-to-configure-alarms-based-on-traps-in-...

You could also run CLI scripting from within EMC to poll certain commands on all switches such as 'show edp' or 'show cdp' to collect the port information, identifying the uplink ports needed to move forward.

If not, disabling the port up/down trap for all ports and then enabling it for just the uplinks may be a quicker step.

GTM-P2G8KFN