cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does higher WLAN security / encryption slow down that same WLAN traffic?

Does higher WLAN security / encryption slow down that same WLAN traffic?

Jacob_Airov
New Contributor III
We're using Extreme AP7532's with a VX9000 controller in a great big 800,000 sq ft warehouse setting. This building has various types of conveyors, racking filled with boxes & product and we're using a voice controlled pick & pack system.

The vendor of this voice system is complaining that their system is running slow and having delays receiving data from the server because we're using WPA2-Enterprise security. They've recommended that we downgrade it to WPA2-personal, saying that higher security slows down a network.

I've tried researching and google searching this, but all I find is articles relating to home wifi and which is the best wifi security to use. Nothing ever mentions anything about 'higher security slows down wifi traffic'.

Has anyone heard of such a thing?

Thanks!
7 REPLIES 7

Phil_storey
Contributor
Hi, what you could do as a test is create an ACL for the VP units or one at least, then create a test wifi using wpa-tkip, map the test network to your APs then test, I know a few years ago the vocollect units did not handle wpa very well, so we had to use wep-128 and an ACL, ( at the time they used symbol wifi cards so we could enable keyguard as well. Like I say it was along time ago. Do Lucas give any recommendations for the wlan settings or even the VP units themselves i.e firmware updates etc, How is the wlan setup ? are you using smart RF ? I recall a job where we supplied the PDT / MDT units, And the performance was terrible, It was another supplier that installed the wifi kit, which was cisco wlan controller, The site was huge and the AP's were all mounted high above the racking. The site was sporting goods. the wlan controller was using the cisco smartRF , as the AP's had clear site of each other they were backing the power off, they were also over 15m in the air with standard rubber duck antenna., anyway it was suggested that the smart RF was turned off and the power adjusted manually,( site survey ) and eventually we sorted it,

Aviv_Kedem
Contributor
Hi Jacob,
I advice to take a look at drops on aps, signal quality.
Ensure that has enabled on wlan profile:
wpa-wpa2 opp-pmk-caching
wpa-wpa2 pmk-caching
and you have virtual controller or controller.

And you can take a test how many time take a radius authentication procedure.

time-it service radius test 192.168.22.22 secret username password

This amount of time spended only on a first connectiion.

Regards

Aviv

Jacob_Airov
New Contributor III
We're using Lucas.

Phil_storey
Contributor
which voice picking solution are you using ?
GTM-P2G8KFN