Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

edge-safeguard enabled by default

edge-safeguard enabled by default

julienb
New Contributor
Hi,

Is there a way to enable by default for every ports the STP mode edge-safeguard with bpdu-restrict ? Like the "spanning-tree portfast default" and "spanning-tree portfast bpduguard default" on Cisco switches.
I'd like to enable the edge-safeguard mode for every port, and add an exception on trunk/dot1q ports.
Is that possible ?

I've tried to enable it for every ports in each instance like that :
configure stpd s0 ports edge-safeguard enable 1-24 bpdu-restrict recovery-timeout 300
configure stpd s900 ports edge-safeguard enable 1-24 bpdu-restrict recovery-timeout 300
configure stpd s903 ports edge-safeguard enable 1-24 bpdu-restrict recovery-timeout 300
configure stpd s914 ports edge-safeguard enable 1-24 bpdu-restrict recovery-timeout 300

But since the ports are not in the instance yet (auto-bind enabled), it throws an error for all ports :
Error: Port 1 is not a member of STP domain s900
Error: Port 2 is not a member of STP domain s900
etc...

Here is the whole STP config (the goal is to be compatible with rapid-pvst+ on Cisco):
configure stpd s0 mode dot1w
configure stpd s0 default-encapsulation pvst-plus
create stpd s823
configure stpd s823 default-encapsulation pvst-plus
create stpd s900
configure stpd s900 default-encapsulation pvst-plus
create stpd s903
configure stpd s903 default-encapsulation pvst-plus
create stpd s914
configure stpd s914 default-encapsulation pvst-plus
create stpd s921
configure stpd s921 default-encapsulation pvst-plus
create stpd s923
configure stpd s923 default-encapsulation pvst-plus
enable stpd s823 auto-bind vlan 823
enable stpd s923 auto-bind vlan 923
enable stpd s903 auto-bind vlan 903
enable stpd s900 auto-bind vlan 900
enable stpd s921 auto-bind vlan 921
enable stpd s914 auto-bind vlan 914
enable stpd s0
configure stpd s823 tag 823
enable stpd s823
configure stpd s900 tag 900
enable stpd s900
configure stpd s903 tag 903
enable stpd s903
configure stpd s914 tag 914
enable stpd s914
configure stpd s921 tag 921
enable stpd s921
configure stpd s923 tag 923
enable stpd s923

Thanks for your help
9 REPLIES 9

EtherMAN
Contributor III
Sorry but I could not resist.. We have a lot of legacy Cisco customers we transport across our network. Best thing for us is using a vman on our side ... protecting our rings with EAPS or ERPS, Untagging vman at the edges on the UNI ports. Dont have to know anything about the Cisco vlans that are being used and any of the PVST that they may want to extend across the network. They can even run CDP across if you configure the port to tunnel the L2PT traffic. I do understand your pain when you try to turn an Extreme switch into a Cisco switch. EAPS and ERPS rock and will outperform any STP or PVST+ on failover times. If you dont have an option to tunnel the Cisco stuff across and must actively participate and be part of their spanning tree domains then I am afraid your options are limited ....

EtherMAN
Contributor III
LOL .. getting my popcorn ready... who runs spanning tree now days... with so many other ways to build rings and redundancy and prevent broadcast loops  2000 plus switches and there has been no spanning tree in over at least ten years

Anyway, I need PVST+. To add a port to a STPd, you need the carrier vlan to be tagged on the port, even for an edge port or it won't join the STP domain.

If I use the tagged vlan on my edge port, I can add the port to the stpd. But now the traffic is tagged. This means I would have to create a separate vlan for each PVST+ domain. This is counter productive and probably the worst implementation of PVST+.

Using Cisco switches, you need 3 lines of configuration for this. With EXOS, I'm up to 104 lines of configuration and it only works for tagged traffic on trunk ports, it won't work for untagged ports.

What do you recommend instead of STP?
GTM-P2G8KFN