cancel
Showing results forĀ 
Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

ELRP and STP x450e

ELRP and STP x450e

Andrew_Schulz
New Contributor
I have 1 x450e acting as a core switch and 5 more that are trunked to the core; a basic hub and spoke topology. I don't believe there is a loop in this design, but my question is do I need to run STP or ELRP here? Can someone give me some best practices as it relates to preventing loops or other issues with this topology?

Thanks
8 REPLIES 8

Bill_Stritzinge
Extreme Employee
Andrew,

ELRP goes great on the edge facing ports, it is simple to monitor and simple to configure and works great. All you would do is enable ELRP on the vlans (must configure for each vlan if tagged) and ports pointing toward your edge devices, the only real decision is what you want to do when a loop occurs, your options are: 1. take no action and log; 2. log and disable port permanently; 3. log and trap and disable port for a duration time and any combination in between. In most cases like a education installation we will disable port permanently so the admins have to take action and manually re-enable the port(s). The best thing about ELRP is its ability to find a loop several switches down, something STP Edge Safeguard cannot do.

Here is a link to the user guide regarding detailing more info and configuration examples: http://documentation.extremenetworks.com/exos/EXOS_All/Troubleshooting/t_configure-standalone-elrp.s...

Andrew_Schulz
New Contributor
Perfect, thank you for confirming that, and thank you for the assistance.

davidj_cogliane
Contributor
You would want it on both ends of the link. Any port with the vlan you are using will get disabled unless it is on the excluded list.

Patrick_Voss
Extreme Employee
It is recommended to apply ELRP on all the ports in each VLAN then exclude the uplink ports. I would do this on ALL switches because it will be easier to track down where the loop is if there is one.
GTM-P2G8KFN