end users disconnecting every 10 minutes

• Problem
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Solved
End users are  disconnecting every 10 minutes and getting connected automatically , is there any default timeout period for Access Point or end users.......
Photo of Hyderabad System Admin

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Ronald Dvorak

Ronald Dvorak, Embassador

• 49,972 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hi,

the only default timeout is the idle timout of 30minutes.
That is if the client doesn't rx/tx data for 30minutes the controller deletes the client session.
That normaly only happens if the client leaves the coverage area for min.30 minutes.

You'd find the timeout in > VNS > WLAN Services > WLAN Service XYZ > Advanced >
It's the post idle timer in the below screenshot...

If the controller deregister a client you'd find the reason in > Logs > Station Events > put the MAC of the device in the field in the upper right to filter.

Here a example of my client after I've left the coverage area...
08/27/15 09:18:16De-registration9C:FC:01:1C:01:D6---D8:84:66:02:DF:E0--VNS[SecureAccess] Cause[Idle timeout]

-Ron
I have changed idle (pre) to 120  from 5   and   (post) to 60 from 30  ,  will it help me out if earlier settings were causing the issue.....
Photo of Ronald Dvorak

Photo of Bharathiraja, Suresh

Bharathiraja, Suresh, Employee

• 3,536 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
Hi Team,

Once after change configuration, what is the client status now ?

Thanks,
Suresh.B
will ,take a day time to know the status..... to conclude ...... 
any other reason why the users are getting disconnected frequently. 

where can i enable the station events on controller , there are no logs of station events , says station events disabled on controller
(Edited)
Photo of Ronald Dvorak

What kind of authentication is running PSK,802.1X PEAP ???
And please let us know which controller version you are running and the AP model.

-Ron
there's no authentication (open)  ,  we have C5210 controller with 9.21 version and AP model is 3805i
(Edited)
Photo of Doug Hyde

Doug Hyde, Technical Support Manager

• 20,606 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
With those settings a client should not be dropping from the wireless. You should contact the GTAC so someone can review your configuration settings. Have your tech support generated and ready before you reach out.  https://gtacknowledge.extremenetworks.com/articles/How_To/How-to-Collect-a-Tech-Support-File-From-a-...

Also please document the following: 
-How many wireless clients are seeing this issue
-Are they all the same type of client device or multiple device types
-If it's only the same device types, document the card type and driver/software versions you are using
(Edited)
Hi Doug

All wireless users (mobile/tablet/laptops, etc )are reporting the same issue..... this is what is happening, the client stays connected to SSID forever no issues in that, issue is he will be not able to access internet after few minutes, he has to dissconnect from SSID and connect back to SSID to resume the internet usage....this happens every 10-15 min
Photo of Doug Hyde

Doug Hyde, Technical Support Manager

• 20,606 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Thank you for the follow up data points,  I would still suggest logging a ticket with GTAC for further troubleshooting. I don't have all the pieces to the puzzle yet to identify what the root cause of your issue is. There are a lot of different reasons this could be occurring.
Photo of Juan Garc

Juan Garc

• 60 Points
Hi, Have you found the reason for that behaivour?? Why were clients being disconnected??
Thanks