Enterasys and apple tv mirroring

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
We have Enterasys APs in our school. We also have apple tvs and ipads and mac books. We are having issues mirroring to the apple tv. The list of apple TVs to mirror to does not always populate with all the tvs in the school. Does the apple tv and ippad/macbooks have to be attached to the same Enterasys AP to mirror successfully?
Photo of Laura

Laura

• 982 Points 500 badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Drew C.

Drew C., Community Manager

• 40,166 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Are the "missing" Apple TVs in the same VLAN as the ones that you do see?
One of the requirements of Apple's Bonjour service is that devices are in the same broadcast domain so that they can be discovered.  They can be on different APs (and even different SSIDs) as long as the network behind them is the same.
Photo of John

John

• 220 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Are you sure you want to do this?  To pull it off you have to enable Bonjour multicast.  You have to enable multicast and then define the Bonjour protocol as one that you allow.  You should think about this carefully and lock this down to only the devices that you want to be able to do this.  Hopefully they are devices that you own and so you can map them to a topology and only turn on this protocol for a select few.  I think there are gateway solutions that help devices to find each other even when on separate VLANS.  At my last institution we decided not to support Bonjour.  I think it was an excellent choice.  I think it could bring your network to its knees.

Photo of rbrt_weiler

rbrt_weiler

• 834 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Hi Laura,

it is like Drew said: As long as the devices are on the same network they are able to discover - "see" - each other. The transport behind is regular multicast.

However, owning an Apple TV myself, I know this issue. My advice would be to disable the automatic shutdown of the Apple TVs and enable Bluetooth on the devices that shall use the Apple TVs. Doing both will at least give you reliable discovery and connections for the Apple TV in the same (maybe even neighbouring) room.

@John: As long as you have at least one device, e.g. a switch, that manages all the multicast traffic, Bonjour should not be that problematic. As far as I understand it, the discovery uses multicast - then called Bonjour -, while streaming uses unicast. This way, the bulk of the traffic is directed to a single host instead of being flooded all over the network.
(I have never verified this though.)
Photo of Laura

Laura

Thanks everyone for your answers. Yes, all the devices are on the wireless vlan. Sometimes the apple tv that the teacher wants to mirror to is in the list and sometimes it's not. As long as the Apple tv is on; I should be able to see the entire list of every apple tv in the building, correct? And mirror to any tv, or does that depend on the wifi signal?
Photo of Ronald Dvorak

Ronald Dvorak, Embassador

• 49,972 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Could you please tell us which topology mode is used for this... bridge@AP, bridge@EWC or routed ?

For my deployment with a bridge@EWC topology I've enabled
-Multicast bridging enabled
-Wireless replication enabled
-mDNS/Bonjour enabled
You'd find it in > VNS > Topology > "your_topology" > Multicast Filters

Here a diagram from my test which isn't a real life scenario as you don't want to stream the traffic via the VPN link but I like complicated test setups :-)

Photo of Laura

Laura

Photo of James A

James A, Embassador

• 7,236 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
How many Apple TVs are there in the building? For debugging, run
dns-sd -B _airplay
in Terminal which will show the underlying Bonjour services. If they disappear and reappear often then there definitely is a problem.

John, Bonjour can be managed successfully, but there are things you can do to make it better. We have lots of Apple TVs, wired to a VLAN that is also bridged@AP to our Staff topology. I have IPv6 blocked (which halves the multicast traffic) and the Apple TVs have static IPs assigned through DHCP (which avoids problems with Bonjour Sleep Proxy), and are set to never sleep. I also drop port 5353 from Apple TV MAC addresses with a policy on our core S4 so devices in each building on see nearby Apple TVs.
Photo of Laura

Laura

How do I block IPv6?
What's Bonjour Sleep Proxy?
I have been setting the TVs to never sleep.
Photo of Frank

Frank

• 290 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
We have about 60 apple TV's on a seperate VLAN which the dreaded bonjour protocol is active. For staff to mirror from thier ipads they join the same VLAN where the Apple TV's reside. Works perfectly.
The issue with Apple TV's sometimes dropping out still happens but I feel it is not a network or setup issue. We can easily solve the random issue by just rebooting the APPLE TV. I believe that the Apple TV was never designed as an enterprise device to be placed on large networks SO that is why we have the few quirks that Apple TV's have. Mostly we find them ok.
Photo of Roy Williams

Roy Williams

• 62 Points

Can i ask how many apple TV's do you have per Vlan

Photo of Laura

Laura

I don't know. Each school may have from 10-25 tvs, all on the wireless vlan. But each school is on its own subnet.
Photo of Chris Sherman

Chris Sherman

• 546 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Did this get any better for you Laura?  If so, what helped? 
Photo of Laura

Laura

I decided to turn off the 2.4GHz radio, I am testing that right now. So far I have not got any work orders on the apple tvs. The teachers say they have problems mirroring to their tvs in the morning. Everyone gets on at the same time and mirrors. so i think its more of a network bandwidth issue. Another tech said to turn off the 2.4 GHz radio since it has less channels and more devices on it; and leave the 5GHz radio, which will force them to use 5Ghz radio which has more channels.
Photo of Chris Sherman

Chris Sherman

• 546 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
How'd the testing go?  I too get complaints that are time(and I assume load) related.  
Photo of Laura

Laura

I had to turn some of  the  2.4 back on, because some people couldn't get wireless. We have too many mixed devices out there. I turned the 2.4 back on in every other room, and I also set up a load group with band steering.  I also changed the 5Ghz radio to 20 mhz wide, since its a dense environment.  One teacher can mirror from her macbook, but not her iPad. I don't think there is much else I can do.
(Edited)