cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ERPS - multi-ring and double fault protection at interconnected nodes

ERPS - multi-ring and double fault protection at interconnected nodes

Luca_Spinacci
New Contributor
I have been using EXOS release 16.1.3.6 for a while to test ring topologies and G.8032 with full satisfaction.

Now, I'm involved with a multi-ring scenario (main-ring+sub-ring) where I'd like to provide protection of the sub-ring against double faults in case of loss of connectivity between major ring and sub-ring according to the description in supplement 52 to ITU-T G.8032.

The supplement states: "the first step in minimizing the segmentation effect is to identify that the major ring is currently disconnected from the sub-ring...For this one can use a unicast UP MEP (as defined in [IEEE 802.1ag]) from the sub-ring port of the interconnected node to the sub-ring port of the other interconnection node. This can use the VID used by the major ring R-APS channel with a higher MEL or use any one VID that is controlled by the major ring protection mechanism...".

I've tried with a simplified ring topology like the one represented in the above supplement and several different configurations of the UP MEP but the protection is not correctly working yet: in case of UP MEP DOWN the sub-ring is switched to protection and its port belonging to the interconnection node is blocked instead of being unblocked.

Has anyone already tried such a configuration?

Any suggestions on the above is welcome.

Thank you in advance,

Luca.

9 REPLIES 9

Chad_Smith1
Extreme Employee
The multiple fault functionality described in ITU-T G Supplement 52 is not fully supported in EXOS 21.1 and earlier releases. The User Guide will be updated to remove references to this functionality.

GTAC Knowledge article: https://gtacknowledge.extremenetworks.com/articles/Solution/ERPS-Multiple-Failure-Protection-using-C...

Luca_Spinacci
New Contributor
Chad,

I just opened the case:

# 01211874.

Thanks.

BR,

Luca

Chad_Smith1
Extreme Employee
Luca,

I have setup a similar topology in my lab. I actually see some inconsistent blocking behavior and think there may be a software issue with this feature. I plan to reach out to the Engineering team for further clarification. Is it possible for you to open up a case with GTAC so we can track this appropriately?

Thanks

Chad_Smith1
Extreme Employee
Luca,

Could you provide a topology and the configurations used in your test lab?

GTM-P2G8KFN