ERS 8800 - log rotate pcmcia

• Question
  • Updated 2 weeks ago
  • Answered
Hi,

I ́m configuring logging to PCMCIA in ERS8800 release 7.X following these steps:

1.- enable logging to pcmia

config bootconfig flags logging true

2.- configure parameters

config bootconfig logfile 500 16000 90

But I can ́t find how to make the log files rotate, Is this possible? How to?

Regards,

EF

Photo of EF

EF

• 130 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 weeks ago

Photo of Federico Barone

Federico Barone, Employee

• 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
PCMCIA logs are automatically created once the file is full.  It starts with a .000 extension and increments on the next file, so .001, etc.
Photo of EF

EF

Thanks, I know this, but imagine that the PCMCIA reach 90% of space when reach the log file XXXXX.100, then, what happens? Does chassis stop logging in the PCMCIA? Does chassis oerwrite the first file (.000)? Does chassis delete the oldest file and continue logging in new one (XXXXX.101)?

Regards,

EF

Photo of Federico Barone

Federico Barone, Employee

• 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
I believe it will stop logging to pcmcia with the below message:
SW INFO Logging to PCMCIA stopped
Photo of Martin Sebek

Martin Sebek

• 260 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
As you already stated.  You can specify minimum free space available on PCMCIA, maximum file size and percentage amount of memory for logs on PCMCIA.  These criteria trigger file transfer to the remote server.  After the log file is succesfully transfered to a remote host the switch deletes the log on PCMCIA and starts logging to a new file which file name is incremented by 1.

You can setup up to 10 remote servers.
logging transferFile <1-10> address <A.B.C.D>
(Edited)
Photo of EF

EF

This is my problem, there isn ́t possibility to transfer file to remote host, so I would like that the logs were rotate itself in the PCMCIA itself, is this possible or when it reach the pecentage of ocupaccy defined (for example 90%) chassis stops to log ?

Regards,

EF
Photo of Martin Sebek

Martin Sebek

• 260 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
SMP rotates logs written to DRAM.  When you reach a defined treshold for PCMCIA and the log file cannot be transfered to a remote host the switch generates a trap stops logging to PCMCIA and continues logging to DRAM.
Photo of EF

EF

Ok, I understand that my idea of rotate logs in the PCMCIA itself is not possible.

Thanks all.

EF