cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EWC is not sending packets to the mirror L2 port

EWC is not sending packets to the mirror L2 port

Steve_Ballantyn
Contributor
I initially had some trouble getting my EWC to talk to my Purview box. That has been resolved, and now my Purview box is receiving flow statistics. However, it's not receiving the actual flow data.

On my controller, I am using esa0 as lag1 which (at present) contains all of my WLAN's. esa1 is defined as a mirror. I have esa1 connected directly to a NIC on my VMWare server, which is then attached via VMWare to my Purview host. Initially I thought this might be related to Purview or the VMWare server.

However - if I ssh' into my controller and run a 'shell', then do a 'tcpdump -i eth1', I am seeing nothing flowing through that NIC.

I have gone over and over my settings on the controller, and just about everywhere I can look I have mirroring "allowed in both directions" and Netflow set to enabled.

Anyone how an idea on where I can look?

Thanks!!
15 REPLIES 15

Bill_Stritzinge
Extreme Employee
Great to hear... Thank you for letting us know!

Steve_Ballantyn
Contributor
This was a tough one to get fixed, but with the help of multiple support folks at Extreme, we located and resolved multiple problems. Namely ...

#1 - The management IP on my Wireless Controller was on the same network as my Purview's management interface (eth0). Because I was able to manage my controller from another interface, on a separate network, we opted to move the management interface to an unused subnet and then pulled the plug on that port. We also rebooted, to clear the routes.

#2 - I was looking at the wrong physical NIC on my VMWare server. I had a built-on 4 ports, and 4 more ports on an added NIC. One was numbered right to left, and the other left to right. Nice and confusing. Once I had the right physical port mapped to the VM as my eth1, we were good to go.

Resolved!!

Drew_C
Valued Contributor III
Sounds like a nice fun mess  Glad you got it sorted out and are up and running.

Thanks for coming back to update the thread!

Steve_Ballantyn
Contributor
I opened a TAC case on this today, #01194547. I will let you all know the outcome.

GTM-P2G8KFN