cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EXOS: mLAG vlan consistency check

EXOS: mLAG vlan consistency check

M_Nees
Contributor III
currently we use very often MultiSwitch LAGs (mLAG). It works well and offers a very good flexibility. But it is very error-prone to keep all the vlan consistent (equal) over the 2 switch and the isc manually by the admin. It needs a lot of time to check that really all vlan are configured correctly. If there is one vlan missed there is no error message or advice that will show the mistake. And also the resulting connectivity problems are very strange. So it is fundamental that vlan configs are equal in mLAG environments!

Other vendors will help the network admins with some checks that will generate an error if something is missed:

6441e51864fd49a8a6ebc47001e36ad1_RackMultipart20160509-4986-6fkhiy-VLAN-Consistence-Check_inline.png

What do you think ? Someone who agree with my need ? Is it imaginable that EXOS will so that (in the future) ?

i am very pleased for some discussion!
8 REPLIES 8

M_Nees
Contributor III
Hi Brad,
i have a closer look at your suggested python script.

Because of the 2 limitations - it is not very useable in the real world:
+ it does not check if the vlans are tagged or untagged configured
+ it does not check vlans on the mLAG peer - so there is not possibility to recognize if vlan config is equal

So i have to check that manually.

Additionally the "vPC consisteny check" will run continiously in the OS background.

It will be very nice of the python script (or maybe the mLAG peer control protocol too) will enhanced that both above problems will be also checked and therefore a manually check is not be necessary.

Regards

M_Nees
Contributor III
Hi Brad,
it looks like what i am looking for ;-)) Let it test it in my lab (the next days).

It seems only the last thing is open in my mLAG-related whishlist - Spanning Tree AND mLAG allowed together on one port!

Regards,
Matthias

Kevin_Kim
Extreme Employee
I think it would make more sense when access switches are not Extreme.

Understand. So in this case it's more about loop protection rather than path redundancy.
I would add ELRP on all access ports of the access switches then, but I understand why others would prefer to stick with what they know 🙂
GTM-P2G8KFN